Noise when turning steering wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
When turning the steering wheel I'm starting to hear some low "groaning". Only happens during parking while making semi-extreme turns of the steering wheel. Sounds like it's coming from somewhere beyond the instrument panel. Steering still feels normal and the steering fluid reservoir is above 'minimum'. Any ideas?

I have an 04, ~48K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon,

Try raising your idle 50 rpm or so with the xcal....

It could just be the cold and the pump, or the pump is weaken..

Todd Z

The OEM power steering pump on your Trac is where you are hearing the noise from.

Ford has issued a TSB for your complaint.

The fix,,, they are replacing it with the 4-Door version of the same year. Both the alternator and the power steering pump are rated higher in the 4-door Explorer. Mine was replaced and the problem was solved.

Also, Todd's suggestion will do the same end result as you will have increased both the flow and the pressure by increasing the idle RPM's...

Thanks Todd, Coastie'. It's been a lot colder here in SoCal so that may have something to do with it.

How much is the replacement steering pump? I don't need to touch the alternator in this case right?

The pump on the st is not an easy swap, It is buried under the aluminum bracket on the Drivers side of the engine...

You do not need to touch the alt at all..

Todd Z

Ironic you mention cold...

The TSB specifically mentions "Trac's in colder environments may exhibit..."

So yes, the cold is affecting the issue.

I would check with a local auto parts store or find one from a salvage yard, which I can send you info on if you care to do the swap.

Head Todd's post, he would know. I did not change mine, Ford did...