Noises my ST makes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
First one is not too concerning - has always been there, just curious what it is. I have a 2004 XLT 4wd - when cruise is set and I climb a hill there is a noise in the dash similar to the sound my mom's old kitchen timer made when it was unwinding. The noise stops when I crest the hill or break cruise.

The next one is new, and troubling. I have 150k on the trac, and the last few days have been single digits. Randomly, I will hear a "gurgling" behind the glove compartment and the heat will go out for anywhere from a minute to five minutes. So far, the heat has always come back. Additional information, possibly related, one time, probably 2 weeks ago, I was driving down the road and the alert chimes went off along with the check gauges message in place of the trip odometer. I scanned the gauges and the thermostat was pegged to the hot side. I released the gas pedal and coasted for short distance and the gauge began to decline. It balanced out in the middle and hasn't done anything out of the ordinary since.

This forum always has great insight. I am looking for some now.

Check the MyST TSB linked below for your cruise control "buzz". Regarding "gurgling", stay tuned, don't believe I've ever used my heater. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like low coolant in the radiator. If it is up to level than maybe there isnt enough anti freeze mixed with the water and the heater hoses are forming ice inside. :driving:

Did you check coolant level? If you've got heater and overheat issues (in IL winter) then I suspect you've got low coolant level. If you find it's way low then you need to source the leak - hoses, radiator, thermostat housing, water pump.

Thanks for the input. I did check the coolant reserve last night after I made my post and found it quite empty. I added 50/50, let the truck run for 10 then checked it again this morning. Empty again, so I refilled again. I do not, however, see anything on the garage floor, on the undersurface of the hood, etc.

I am absolutely not a car guy. I know the hoses, radiator, thermostat, and water pump are all related, but how do I start narrowing down, and where is the antifreeze if its not on the ground or in the reservoir? Roughly how much is typically in circulation?

Also when the motors cold, Remove the radiator cap and fill there........ Then fill the overflow...

Also look around the t-stat housing, I bet the common issue of this is the problem.....

Todd Z

+1 What Vic and Todd said! ^ The coolant level in the radiator is probably low, and the coolant you put into the overflow tank is being sucked into the radiator when the engine cools. You need to fill the radiator to the top when the engine is cold, and also fill the

A decent shop ought to be able to pressure-test your cooling system and give you a diagnosis if there is a problem.

I believe the coolant capacity of your Trac is around 9 quarts or so. Your owner's manual will have the exact amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the stealth leak at the T-Stat housing. I just replaced mine last year which was 13 years old.

Are you the original Owner and has the T-Stat housing ever been replaced?