O.T.: Secure you notebook

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not a very good coverage area. I've seen the coverage maps from LoJack, they do not even cover 50% of the counties in the areas listed here:

Actually I think it uses the hardware (MAC) address of the NIC and a hash signature of the installed hardware to identify the machine. Then they place that in a memory storage location not used by the operating system, so even if a thief (high-level) formatted the hard drive, it would still send a message to LoJack the first time it was connected to the Internet. The IP address used to access the Internet would be used to track it to the specific physical location.

But like mdm said, this should work world-wide, so I'm not getting the "coverage" thing that LoJack lists. Part of the thing that they do is to notify local law enforcement if they track down the location of the stolen machine, so maybe their coverage list is only where they have a "presence". (?)