o2 sensors with new exhaust? I want to remove Cats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
I would like to put in dual flowmaster delta 40's and after climbing under the trac I realized there is like 4 - 5 cats. Now I live in Alberta Canada and we dont have smog laws ( I dont want to hear any preaching from tree huggers) can I remove any of these with out ending up with a CEL or which ones can I remove, is there a way I can get them all out of there and not worry about my O2 sensors? I also have a Air/Fuel gauge I would like to get installed that taps into an O2 sensor and would like to know what I should do or where i should tap in if I remove the cats etc?... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dallas

You can get a rid of the pre-cats without any CEL's (Random Tech Y-pipe - see WFoy). The two main cats can be broken down into a single Hi-flow, if desired. RT used to sell them don't know if they still do, but eliminating all together may cause a CEL since the O2's won't get hot enough to do their job. Cats these days, flow much better than they used to and there will probably be no benefit by removing. You will probably lose performance due not enough back pressure, which may also cause other issues.

Since when did Canada not have any emmission laws?? If you bought your vehicle in Canada and it did not require Cats why would Ford spend the extra money to put them on??

I think Canada has vehicle emmission laws that are at least as strict as most states in the US, and perhaps even more restricted that many US states. I think you are just trying to justify the removal of the cats, but I suspect that it's illegal to do that in Canada as it is in the US.

...Rich

They may have emmision laws, but in provinces like Alberta your vehicle never ever gets checked. That is why he isn't worried about it. The only time a vehicle gets inspected is if you purchased a used vehicle that is 10 years old or older, then the just check the brakes, lights etc.

In alberta (I looked it up) They have no emission laws, neither does saskatchewan. But the rest do, thats why ford puts them on there and spends the money so they are manufacturing a SUT that can be sold in all provinces. And as far as backpressure goes I was going to put in a resonator to create the required back pressure without loosing performance. Looks like I might need to get the flasher

Sounds like Oklahoma. Legislature repealed our vehicle inspection laws about 5 years ago. You can pretty much drive anything that will move.

Cops will still stop you if you have an obvious defect (light out, wobbly tire, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, cops don't even bother stopping you here for a wobbly tire! I've seen people with wobbly tires, trucks that have bent frames, which drive sideways down the highway, and all sorts of other freaky and dangerously things here in Missouri. I don't recall EVER having anyone look at my cats here in MO. They just don't check. Nor do we get any sort of emissions testing. That's just in my county though. St. Louis has smog checks. Several of my friends run straight pipes on their trucks, nobody seems to care.

I see cars that I know would NEVER pass an inspection here, but they never get stopped. It's always the guy whose tags are one day overdue (that's happened to me), or going 4 miles per hour over the speed limit (again, happened to me) who gets pulled over. Oh well, I pulled a guy over once for not having a license plate light...so I guess I shouldn't complain much. hehe

Latest posts