OBD-II Code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Steele

Reaction score
This morning on my way to work my ABS light came on and stayed on even after I turned the truck off and restarted it. I scanned it for codes once at work and CODE B1342 came up, I did a little research and everything says either the ABS Control Module or The ECU is defective. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Daniel

I'd start with basics - what's condition and level of your brake fluid? Beyond that it's getting car up, wheels off and inspect brakes. You've got drum brakes on rear. While you're doing that might as well flush with new fluid.

Sorry, should have checked your car info. Will have to defer to someone here who knows more about brake system on these cars.

You may want to try and clear the code and see if it triggers again, just be on guard for any slight signs of braking deficiency while you're driving. ALWAYS have an out!

After the code is cleared, go out on a wide open road to get up to a reasonable speed then try locking up the brakes and see whether the ABS functions properly to prevent tire skid. Also, this may return a code if there is a true problem which you'll need to take more seriously because of safety concern.

I had a module go bad under warranty once on Chevy Blazer (excuse me while I wipe the puke off my chin) but it was before we had access to code readers and it was too long ago to remember what the Dealer Service ticket showed on it. It was under warranty so I didn't really care to pay attention since it was being replaced for FREE!

Keep us posted as to what is going on so we all can learn from your experience with this.

Every B1342 code I have ran across with an abs light on has been an abs module failure. Naturally you want to reset everything first and also check the fuses and see if it comes back on before doing anything.

Latest posts