Occasional stutter on highway

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
I was on the highway today in Manitoba, there was lots of snow and the roads were icy. When driving in cruise 2x, and once with foot on peddle the engine or drivetrain stuttered. It was quick, made the truck shake a little, and then normal again. RPM's didn't fall, it wasn't during a shift, and I wasn't in 4x4. It has never done this before, and after returning to the city and driving around, it didn't do it again.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Trac that light that it could slip when in cruise?

Yep. Mine does it all the time. And I have 210 pounds of sand over the rear axle and never less than 1/2 of a tank of gas.

you should never use the cruise control on wet or snowy conditions, if it does start to slip it may want to hit the gas to maintain vehicle speed, then you could loose control.

I took his use of "cruise" to mean when driving at a highway speed, not necessarily to mean when using cruise control.

Yes, ffs, it sort of feels like the transmission is slipping for a split second.

The highway had just been plowed and sanded. So cruise was fine at the time. And I was referring to cruise control.