Odd Tire Wear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
So my front tires are wearing terribly on the insides. Almost every other tread. I have no idea what's causing it? I just had it aligned.

What type of wear - cupping, feathering, straight or diagonal?

Is this since the alignment? An alignment can't "fix" previous wear. Could be the alignment is incorrect (it happens). Rotate the wheels to check for repeated wear.

Need more info. Pictures are good, too.

How many miles on the shocks and what brand and model (some last longer than others). Could be any worn part - have any front suspension parts been replaced?

Search "tire wear chart".

Aloha Ryan, the alignment folks should have told you of any warn parts and offered to replace before the alignment. Every other tread does seem to be warn parts. If the wear was after the alignment, I would take it back to the alignment shop.

Ed

How many miles on your 2002? Ever had any front suspension work done, say ball joints? You cannot properly align worn parts.

Here are some pics of the wear
def1cf8d611a87d1c153b55ee34f4f73.jpg
aa3535da3b382f55dee221d44a293c91.jpg

How many miles since the alignment? When were the wheels last rotated and was it after a repair?

Is it possible that this wear is not new and you are now noticing because of the alignment? If so, you'll want to rotate the wheels and let nature take it's course.

Maybe 600 at the most. I had it done after seeing the same wear when changing my shocks out. Because of the noticed wear I had it aligned and tires rotated. Shop made no mention of said wear pre rotation. On the non wear tires rotated to the front this is the fresh wear.

I think you've got a camber problem. I'd take it back to the alignment shop and ask them what they think. What's the age (not miles) of these tires? Week and year of manufacture are the last four numbers in the DOT string stamped on the tires.

The gen1 tracs have what is considered allowed camber. It is not the best setting. You may need a set of camber adjusters installed. Then get a specific camber setting.

It might seem odd to some. I have countered the problem by tweaking left and right tie-rod ends inward. I move them inward 1/2 turn. It stoped the wear and makes the stearing return to center easier after turning.

Did the shop give you an alignment printout? If so, post a pic of the sheet or list the settings. Specs linked below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second for a camber problem. Depending on the upper control arms, you might need that camber kit.

That's a lot of wear for 600 miles. The shop did something wrong or there are failing parts.

You should have a warranty for the alignment.

I had them install a camber kit in my truck. That sucker drives straight and true. I need new tires in a couple of months and they wore perfectly even the whole time.

Yeah, you can buy parts locally, but they charge way too much for them. Like the park-neutral switch. Local parts store wanted $60. Screw that. I got it for $20 online. I never buy parts locally anymore except when I was stuck in the middle of Bumf*ck with a bad alternator.

Latest posts