OEM Motorcraft Gold Coolant vs. Aftermarket Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
There's been a lot of discussion here over the years on using OEM Motorcraft coolant or aftermarket coolants. I've discovered information that states that if an aftermarket coolant meets Ford's coolant specification #WSS-M97B51-A1, then it's an acceptable substitute for OEM Motorcraft coolant. Zerex G-05 Formula (made by Valvoline) meets this spec. Thought others might find this to be of interest.

KEEP IT COOL

Ford's Position On Universal Coolants

Some companies market a universal coolant, stating that their product can be used for all vehicle applications. Here is Ford Motor Company's official policy on these products.

Q: What is Ford's position on the use of "universal" coolants in Ford vehicles?

A: Ford does not have performance data for the multitude of engine coolants available in the aftermarket and therefore cannot recommend the use of any coolant except those approved by Ford Motor Company. Due to the complexity of cooling systems, no one coolant has been proven to work in all vehicles. "Universal" coolants generally do not contain silicates and nitrites, both of which are required for Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Thus, these "universal" coolants generally do not meet Ford's coolant specification WSS-M97B51-A1.

Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A, require silicates and, in the case of diesel engines, the use of Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive, VC-8, which contains nitrites. Thus, these "universal" coolants may not be suitable for use in vehicles originally equipped with Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant.

Based on blind laboratory ASTM testing performed in duplicate, two leading "universal" coolants currently in the marketplace did not meet the extended D2809 requirements of Ford's Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant specification, WSS-M97B51-A1.

The "universal" coolants may not be compatible with Ford's recommended supplemental coolant additive, Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive, VC-8.

Use of non-approved "universal" coolants may lead to eventual engine damage or failure. Problems caused by use of non-approved "universal" coolant may not arise immediately, but may occur over longer periods of time due to additive compatibility issues.

Although the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty is not automatically voided upon the use of a non-approved coolant in Ford vehicles, if such use results in damage to the vehicle or its components, the cost of repairing the damage (and related damage) would not be covered by the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember years ago, when I was working for a Chevy dealer,we were told under no circumstances were we to mix regular green coolant with DexCool.

I believe that Roger. GM had the lock on that overpriced garbage!

Best thing to happen to DexCool is when it was flushed and replaced with green...

I've always used Fords Coolant. Its the best stuff on the market from what engine builders tell me. Even a couple of Toyota dealers use Motorcraft oil filters and engine coolant.

My 2002 sport trac specs for coolant (from my owners manual) states that I can use the green ford spec number is ESE-M97B44-A, or the gold ford spec number WSS -M97B51-A1

The green Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following specifications: Ford ESE-M97B44-A

Seems either can be used as long as coolant is fully flushed, they do not recommend mixing the two.

Latest posts