Off Brand Synthetic Oils

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
My local department store has a full synthetic oil 5w-30 on sale.

6 qts for $10.00.

I was wanting to know if this type of synth. oil is as good as the

name brand stuff. Verses brand names at $4.00 and up?

Thanks

Ranger Erv

Ranger 354 V Bass Boat

Ready to Go Bass Fishing!!!

What is the store and brand name? Might be able to do a search and find out who bottles it for them...

At $1.67/qt I can not believe that it is any type of true synthetic. Is it a blend or straight synthetic. Synthetics cost more to manufacture than dyno oils so @$1.67 I'd be very skeptical. For about $18.00 more per 5 qt oil change or about $180 more over 5 years, I'd go with a brand name unless I knew a lot more about the "mystery" synthetic. $180 is a cheap insurance policy for a very expensive engine.

As far as I know, only Amsoil and Mobil 1 are true synthetics like Walter said. All the others are highly refined Group III oils with sythetic additives. Which doesn't mean they're bad stuff.

The main advantages of syn are that you can go longer between changes and the viscosity is more stable over time, which is not really an issue for most people unless you race or tow.

I got used oil analysis comparing Mobil 1 and Motorcraft syn blend over 5000 miles and the results were nearly identical. More miles than that and the Mobil 1 might show a difference.

Is syn better? No doubt. Is it worth it? That's between you and your wallet.

That's not a bad price. If it's true synthetic. I use Motorcraft syn. blend that I get from Walmart for $2.09 a quart and I've used Mobil 1 before and didn't notice any difference in gas mileage and I change it out every 5K miles.;)

The most important thing to do is to check the API service code. If it's not rate equal to, or higher than the API service rating for the vehicle you intend to use it in, DON'T BUY IT !

...Rich

Latest posts