Oh, Boy! ST problem... HELP!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Langel

Reaction score
So, after leaving the gas station my truck started to act very funny:

I pushed her to about 2600 rpm when suddenly she dropped to 600 rpm and then back up to normal. It did this two or three times.

Then as I backed her into the driveway, she stalled.

OIL LEVEL seems very high and it seems very hot.

no check engine light though.

What the heck is going on?

Help is appreciated...

Thank you,

Josh

#1 problem with Trac :(

Last edited by a moderator:
josh, do you have a tune or are you stock, I just got a tune yesterday and I think I may have to switch it back, valves started knocking....anyway, thinking maybe that could be it. with an 04 you're still under warranty arent you? that seems really odd, first sentance sounded like tranny but oil temp? Have you pulled her out again?

Stock here...

I don't offroad this truck, it's more for work and "some" tractor/dirt road work.

Engine has never seen water (not even from a cleaning)...

Wierd? YES! I am confused right now :(

check to see if your radiator coolant is low, my trac was doing that when there was a hole in the radiator and i would fill it up it would just leak right back out...i drove it a day or two before we really analyzed the problem sure enough it was running too hot because of the hole in the radiator, just a suggestion but it would be worth taking a look at, it cant hurt

Did you recently have your oil changed? If so, maybe someone put too much in. An overfilled engine can cause damage, because it makes the oil foam up.

I changed my oil myself 5,000 miles ago.... this is really making me wonder.

I haven't driven it since...

Will let you'll know.

Thanks,

Josh:(

Sounds like it was bad gas. It doesn't take long for the new gas to make it to the engine.

Tom

I have very similar problems, usually right after i fill up. It always happens under 40 (thank god) but I'll be on the gas, the truck will sputter then die on me. Luckily I can usually control it and get it off the side of the road. Unfortantely there isn't any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it will do it once and i just have to turn it off and turn it back on again. Other times it will do it 2 or 3 times in a row.

I knew a guy who accidently put diesel fuel in his truck. It ran for a while until the full strength diesel got to the injectors. Take of the gas cap and smell.......you'll know if it's diesel. Another thing if it's not that.......a high oil level usually indicates an antifreeze leak into the oil system. Had a Chevy 3.1 V6 that was known for that had intake gaskets changed at 40K and 65K. Was starting to leak again when I traded it in on my Trac. This is not a common problem with the 4.0L V6 but it can happen on any engine.

actually my friend has this problem with his mustang now that i think about it, he said it is a common problem with stangs...maybe its that way with most fords? All i can say is when you hit a buck 45 in that car and it dies out on you...it'll grab your attention.

Dont know josh but get it looked at, sure doesnt sound like something acceptable, are you still under warranty? if so they should tow it for free too.

hmm, Josh checked the oil again and double check your drain plug, "just to be safe"

Where have you been?

good luck, sure hope the problem is not a more serious issue. xxxx Keeping my fingers crossed.

:)

Latest posts