Oil Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Moss

Reaction score
Good Morning MYST'ers

I currently just started running Royal Purple Syn and K&N Filter and have a questions on recommended filter changes. I know K&N are good filters, since I am running syn oil how often do I need to change the K&N Oil Filter, every 5K? or will it go 10k? Thanks! :driving:

Ya know, old habits die hard, I've been changing oil every 3K miles since the 70's. Only when I got my Trac, did I switch over to Mobil1. It gets changed every 5K miles with a new filter. Some of you may think/know different and God bless ya, but its just what I do. Bob

I use Royal purple as well with Wix Filter. I change every 10k miles. at 95k miles now with no problems, doesn't use a drop of oil!!

Mercedes-Benz oil service intervals are every 10k. I change the oil for my mother. Their oil? Mobil 1 Synthetic which is what I run in the Sport Trac. I would change every 8k-10k oil AND filter (its only $5) if you're running synthetic. 3-5k with filter if running conventional. Yes its not a Mercedes motor but you're not getting your moneys worth with synthetic oil if your changing it every 3k miles.

IME almost every product that gets hyped on a Saturday morning auto show is a poor value. Every dollar spent on marketing is a dollar not spent on R&D and/or better components.

Full synthetics are ideal for those who those who can't change their oil every 3000 miles or three months. They're also ideal for situations where you're pushing your engine to the limit on a sustained basis, like in racing or constant heavy hauling. In the latter case, changing your oil between 3000-5000 miles is a good idea. And IMO it's foolish false economy to not change the oil filter with every oil change.

Synthetics are good, but not miracle workers. I'd change my oil at most every 6000 miles or six months (whichever comes first) to cleanse the crankcase of inevitable combustion blow-by oil contamination and other things that degrade the oil over time.

Latest posts