oil pressure sensor/switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie frenzel

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to go get some micky Ds breakfast (yumm) And I had the check gauges light and saw the oil pressure wasnt there. I knew it was the sensor (there was no way it would run so smooth with out oil) My question is, has anyone tried to clean it out? I know it is a cheap part but It does still work just not right away.

Easier to just replace it...

Todd Z

As previously stated, replace the sensor. You cannot really clean it out and it is not a true oil pressure gauge sensor. It is simply an on/off pressure switch. If the oil pressure goes above 8 PSI the oil gauge shows normal pressure (always the same spot on the gauge). If the oil pressure drops below 8 PSI the gauge shows 0 pressure. So in reality your oil pressure gauge is just a glorified idiot light.

Sport Tracs are known to experience this problem with the oil pressure sending unit when the temperature starts to get cold overnight and starts to dip into the 30's. After about a minute or two of running, the gauge will flip back on to a normal reading.

It happened to my new 2001 Sport Trac and it was only about 1 month old, so it's not an issue of the sensor getting dirty, just a poorly designed one.

...Rich

[quote Richard L]

Sport Tracs are known to experience this problem with the oil pressure sending unit when the temperature starts to get cold overnight and starts to dip into the 30's. After about a minute or two of running, the gauge will flip back on to a normal reading.

That is exactly what our '01 does.

We purchased it a month ago but did not see an issue till the weather got cold.

There is a TSB on this issue. If within coverage Ford will replace it for free with an updated version. If not within coverage, buy it yourself as it is pretty cheap...

Latest posts