OIL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
on a ST with 110,000 miles on it, whould be better to a 10W 30 for the winter, since i was using it in the summer? I had no problem in the summer with it, but i was jus wonder will it get to thick with the cold at start up..am In toronto so it get pretty cold here

I have used 10W30 in most of my vehicles when they required 5W30. Never had any problems. I don't see any problem with it. You could go with 5W30, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Something to listen for. When you start it, you should hear the engine being lubricated. if you haer lister knock or something, go with 5W30.

Tom

Your Trac calls for 5w-30 year-round, so I would just use that. With 110,000 on it, consider one of the high-mileage oils like Valvoline Max Life in 5w-30, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

My decrepit old work van that I don't talk much about runs noticeably quieter on Max Life.

On a cold engine, even 5W-X are really too thick. There is plenty of lubrication even with 0W-X premium oils. At warm engine temps, the 30W has the required viscosity. Go with the 5W.

Because of where your at, you should probably stick to the 5-30, at least during winter. I have always used 10-30 in my Trac but I live way down here in the south where we rarely see temps below 40F.

Thanks guys...Am gona start to put 5 for the winter and go to 10w30 in the summer..And i listend for tapping noises at cold start up and it does make them with the 10w30, so am gona try 5w 30

Latest posts