Ok.. last trans question I promise!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Since I am doing the pan drop/filter replacement/drain plug install......

before taking the pan off and making a huge mess.. could I not drill the 1/4" pilot hole in the bottom of the pan and let the fluid drain out? Aslong as I don't use a 6" drill bit right? or is there no clearance between the pan and the trans components?

Wouldn't you still get spewed on while drilling? I'd also be afraid of the bit boinking something when it goes all the way through.

seems to me like it would be very dangerous. Plus 1/8 wouldn't leave much room for air to get in, it would take FOREVER to drain.

I wouldn't think there would have to be a worry about air getting in. Just remove the tyranny dip stick and all the air you need would enter by that path.

Not that doesn't resolve the other two issues raised. ( splatter while drilling and the risk of hitting something critical when the bit goes through.

Find a piece of tubing to just fit over the drill bit, put the drill bit in the drill, slip the tube over it and let it sit against the drill chuck, and set your drill bit to just peek out of the end of the tube. That way you won't drill too far into the pan and hit anything. It's still going to be a total mes, though, all over you and your drill.

I did it on my trans. I used a 1/4 in drill bit. I wraped black elect. tape about a 1/2 inch up the bit. and drained the fluid into a 5 gal. bucket. Not one drop on the floor. It took about 20 min to drain complete. Drill it,go have some lunch and it will be drained.

Bob

I would just suggest dropping the full pan the proper way, as long as you are dropping it anyway, and it will be less work and a whole lot less mess to clean up! But, glad to see that you are doing the proper trans maintenance that is so important. Good luck.

What I do is just suck the pan dry with a drill pump attachment whose suction hose goes down the trans filler tube, measure the amount sucked out, and put that same amount back in (when warm, not hot). I do that at every oil change, and it keeps the trans fluid fresh and clean. According to Ford, the filter at 100,000 miles still has over 99% efficiency left, and is the reason why they recommend flushing. This per a Ford regional Tech support center. (If the 5R55E trans lasts that long, that is!!!)

Gary