OMFG Engine Rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so for the past 3,000 or so miles i've been hearing a rattle type noise coming from the driver side in the engine compartment. While getting my ball joints and brakes redone ($2,000) the mechanics tried to figure out what could be causing the noise and could not. Well on saturday, my valve box cracked open and the springs flew out and now im looking at a $4,000 engine rebuild since the pistons were damaged. Has anyone else had this happen to them, or heard of this happening? WHat could have caused this, and can anyone give me some "glass half full" type news while i try to stomache this bill.

Sounds like valve spring retainers broke causing springs to punch through plastic valve cover. Never heard of this happening to an engine that is run under normal RPM conditions. Do know that if an engine is over-revved, valve springs may not be strong enough to close valve before piston comes back up and hits valve. Thats why high RPM racing engines have significantly stronger valve springs to close the valves faster than a stock spring.

First, find a new mechanic.

$2000 for brakes and ball joints is a rip. You can find a used engine for under $1000, and shouldn't pay more than $1500 to have it installed.

You show me where i can find a used engine for $1000 and then someone who can install it for $1500 then ill believe you. As for the $4000, the guy who owns the engine rebuild shop works for my family's real estate company, so im pretty sure hes not taking me to the cleaners.

a member here, Coastiejoe can find you a used engine. There was just a thread about this with prices a week or so ago, it says 800-1000 for an engine with around 20,000 on it.

That is strange. Normally a failure of that nature is caused from extended high-RPM use, poor install, or parts with weak spot or partial failure to begin with.

I guess we know the ST uses an interference motor now...bad way to find out though.

Never heard of that happening on this site in the 5 yrs. I've been a member. Also, I feel that $2k is a bit high for getting the brakes and ball joints done, unless you have 4x4 but even that seems high. What's the shops hourly? If it is more than $100/hr. your probably being ripped off. BTW, I am about 45 min. north of you.

I can easily find you an afordable engine. BUT.... I am in London and wont be back for three days. As it stands, I only have my PDA for the internet and can not acces my shops inventory program with it.

But I will get you info if I get internet sooner or as soon as I land back in the states.

And labor by me would be about 650 to install the engine....

I had a valve spring break and pop through the valve cover on my 2002 ST at 20K miles. Fortunately for me it was under warranty. I was travelling 60 on an open highway and the next exit was the Ford dealer I bought it from and I limped in. No piston or internal damage except the spring and cover. BTW, I never overrevved the engine... ever. I traded that truck last year for a 2005 XLT 4x4 ST.

MountainTrac

Like others, $2 grand to fix brakes and ball joints? Shoot, you could pay my flight to you, a few days for the wages I make at work, parts, and still have $600.00 left from that $2 grand.

Your mechanic is screwing you!

As others have said, you should have no problem finding an engine for less than $1,000.00 and have it installed for another grand and you will end up with a better mechanic.

Never think for a second just because "you do bla, bla, bla" with a mechanic does not mean he isn't sticking it to you. I worked for a company that over paid for everything with a mechanic they trusted.

Tom

Don't rebuild the tracs motor.

Get a new/used one.

Rebuilding after a catastrophic failure is asking for another catastrophic failure. Aluminum motors don't rebuild too well, esp after such failures. Usually, something gets warped, bent, or damaged to a point that the rebuild will "work", but never really up to par.

A warped block is rebuildable, but I would rather just get a different block.

best of luck,

cheers

I wonder if there are parts available to make a stroker out of the TRACs V6? Never heard of that yet. But think of the low end torque that you would have.

Lou...

Actually, you can get a stroker crank and a high performance cam for the engine. Or, higher compression pistons. Maybe a Mustang V6 instead of a Trac V6. Several options are available for a more powerful V6.

You are correct Caymen, For some reason I thought the entire block was aluminum, but after digging, It is Iron.

The possible 3.5 DOHC the may be replacing it in the next couple of years is all aluminum, however.......

cheers,

Well, keep in mind he didn't specify the extent of the work.

If you need all new pads, shoes, drums/rotors, a caliper or two..........it can add up.

I agree even the most extensive brake job (pads, rotors, and calipers), as well as all new balljoints, shouldn't get too close to $2000; it would most certainly be over 1K.

Most shops around me want at least $800 to do all new ball joints as well as replacing Fords factory defective control arms......which just like shocks, every trac could use from the showroom floor...

Add that in with a very extensive brake job, and $2000 is not too far out of the ballpark.

As far as your engine rebuild goes, I'll bet the noise was a timing chain rattle, and I'll bet your timing chain broke, stopping the valvetrain, then sending parts out of the valvbox when the piston hit the stopped valvetrain.

Any takers?

Most shops around me want at least $800 to do all new ball joints as well as replacing Fords factory defective control arms

Do a little research. Balljoints are very cheap to replace. We did them on my brothers 1999 Explorer at 140,000 miles. Simple change out.

Tom

As for the $2,000 brakes and ball joints, i needed both upper and lower ball joins, my brakes in the front needed new rotors and pads, and the brakes in the back werent working AT ALL which is why they had to replace so much of the fronts because they were doing 100% of the braking.

AndyG I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. My machanic who is doing the engine has a 2003 Explorer and said there was a recall at one point over the timing chain, and as far as i know, my vehicle was never sent in for recall. He found that the chain was indeed broken, and basically everything else you said.

I know $4000 is a lot to fix, but id rather have a rebuilt engine with an unlimited mile 3 year warranty, than a used 20k mile engine that i could possibly get the same problems with. As it stands most of the comments on this thread are almost making me regret my decision, but i think if i plan on keeping this truck for the long term, i'm making the right one?

ohh and btw, this engine rebuild has been through two independant mechanics already for bids on the job, both are almost the same. $4000 for the rebuild. :-/