? On 2008 For a possible new owner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at a 08 XLT. any thing i should look for specifically, as in commonly known problem areas?

Can I pull my 17 foot boat with no problems with the 4.0L?

Thanks in advance

I had an 08 XLT with the 4.0 and pulled a 17' Aluminum Bass Tracker with a 45hp Mercury, trolling motor, live wells, equipment, and all fishing equipment with no problems.. not sure about a heavier fiberglass boats though. I think you will be fine with 17' or smaller.

I had an 03 ST in which I pulled around my boat around with. I was really uncomfortable with the 4.0L pulling nearly 4,750 lbs. I did have upgrades to the engine, but thought it was weak. So I upgraded to an 08 STA with the 4.6L and couldn't be happier towing around the boat. If you have the choice, find the V8, then you won't have to worry once you upgrade your boat :)

I can pull my 21' Baja sport boat with a twin axle (4750lbs) or a 10' enclosed motorcycle trailer with 2 touring bikes and gear(5000lbs) with no issues. Stay within manufacturers reccomendations and you'll be fine. But, try to get one with the V8, you will be much happier. BC

Check the weight of the boat and trailer. The '07-up models have a Class II hitch standard, which is good for 3500 lb., but if it's more than that then you want one with the optional Class III hitch.

Mine just has the Class II but my jetski plus trailer and a full tank of gas is a little over 1000 lb. and I don't even know it's back there.

Latest posts