"On" button for cruise control cracked.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Chose "steering" because it's on the steering wheel.

Anyway, how hard is it to replace that button? I basically just pressed it on my '01 a few days ago and it cracked under my thumb. Happens with 10 year-old plastic, I guess.

That is the complete cruise control switch assembly. The part number is F87Z9C888BB. It retails for about $141 at your local Ford dealer.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. No way to pop the top of the switch off and just replace the plastic?

If it's anywhere near $141, it's just going to stay cracked.

on my '02 the same thing happened. I removed the knob from the shift lever and pried the top part/button off the knob. I then went to Autozone and bought a "fog light switch" that was round and had the mounting tab with it. It fit right into the top remaining part of the shift lever knob after wiring it into the wires the factor button attaches to.

The only thing now is I have to cycle the switch on/off/on to get the OD to turn on/engage.

For the $2.50 I spent on the switch, I'll deal with cycling the switch. It's been like that for the last 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hve same issue as OP. I have seen the part on ebay as low as $40-$50. Do it yourself videos on youtube on how to swap it out.

I just covered mine with electric tape for now, can barely tell the difference.

As hard as it is for me to believe, being a parts tech for 30+ years, Amazon sometimes kicks everybodys @z on parts prices. $60 / free ship. SW-5928 Motorcraft.

Steve M: Thanks for posting that link! The "soft" rubber tops of my wife's Gen1's cruise control switches have been rock-hard for a couple years, making them almost impossible to use. I've been putting off ordering new ones because of the cost. Just ordered them from Amazon. :)

Latest posts