Opinions from 2001 owners...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
Ok, how many of you had your 2001 since mile one and still love it? I am considering making my ST into a show truck of sorts. I just want to know how many people on here still love their ST's after having them for 6 yrs.

I am a HUGE Detroit Tigers fan and I plan on having a ghost mural of old time players on one side (Willy Horton, Ty Cobb, etc.) and on the other side, recent players of 2006's winning team on the other in various poses. The hood I want a ghost mural of Comerica Park. Now add in suicide door, and the hood opening up from up by the windshield. So what do you guys think? Let me know how you still love your ST and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Bootsy,

I only bought my used one year ago this month. Sorry to no have the lenght of "test of time" love affair, but I will tell you this.

My first love was always the Nissan Frontier. I test drove one with a cousin in 05 with the supercharger and said to myself that IF i end up buying a Pickup, that i would get a Frontier. (didnt own a truck until my Trac).

When I came across my Trac in a lot, it was love at firs site. I dont like how it handles and its lack of power, BUT cuz of its UNIQUENESS, I would rather put money into getting some mods to get her to what I like rather than buying a Frontier.

The ONLY thing i would trade her in for would be an 07 or later V8 Trac...and that aint happenin any time soon

So my point is.....I LOVE MY TRAC. I think you should definitely do all that you list you plan on doing.

Had mine since 7/01, 41500 miles and still looks new.Tow the boat with it and various other vacations.Plan on having it alot longer!

Had mine since 12/26/00. 83,120 miles. I still love it. She treats me right, so I treated her right last oil change and put in Royal Purple.

I drove my 2001 from the showroom and have been the only driver since, I can honestly say I love it as much today with 115000 miles as I did on day one with 10 miles on it. I still get compliments on it all the time. It is the most unique and outstanding vehicle I have ever owned.

[Broken External Image]:

Had mine for 6 years 4 months.. traded in december for an 07 Tacoma... Haven't missed the ST at all... Drove the 07 ST.. Liked the Tacoma better... If i would have had $60 grand i would of waited for the Saleen S331SC supercharged F150... 450 horses,, 500 foot lbs of torque,, handling like a mustang gt.. Wish i kept my 94 lightning instead of getting the ST in 2000.. At least i still have my 1988 35th anniversary Vette to toy with...

troy

love my 03 sooo much i bought an 04 as well !!!!! :D:D:D:D

Todd Z

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think I am gonna get started on this project soon. I think I will start with the flipped hood & suicide doors cosmetically and the intake/exhaust mechanically, then move to the murals after that. I am so excited to get to design the layout of this truck, my mind is going 100 miles a second right now. :D

My wife has been killing me to either get a new ST or something else all together. My '01 was bought new in June '01, and has about 60k miles on it now. We went and looked at the new ST's but they are to "pretty" to get dirty. I have no desire or need for a new one. Great truck, no payments, not afraid to get dirty, great vehicle, probably the best I have owned yet.

Bootsy that is a hell of an menu you have compiled! You'll be having alot of fun for a good long while! :) BUT.... esh.... the tigers?? :p LOL!

HAHAHA, I was waiting for someone to say something about the Tigers. I just have to say that they ROCK THE HOUSE....even if we did get clobbered last night. I can't wait to start, I sooooo CAN'T WAIT!!! I will keep you all posted as each idea grows into reality.

If you look in my library, I have found some images online I am gonna start with. The 1st, 2nd, & 5th ones I was htinking of having airbrushed on the tailgate after it is shaved & etc. Personally I am leaning towards the 1st one. The 3rd & 4th ones I am considering as the hood ghost images. So much is running through my mind, I can't stop....AHHHHH

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. I love my ST, so much that I want to make it "mine" so to speak. I HATE the gas mileage, but that can be fixed a little. Plus I might pick up a SMART just to drive around the city here, which will give me time to build the Tiger truck. Does anyone have any negative/positive info about suicide doors (rear) and reverse lift hoods?

I think thta suicide doors look good, especially for a retro look. I have not seen anyone, that I can recall, do a reverse lift hood on their ST but it would look cool. I think that the look you are going for would look nice with painted steel wheel and Moon chrome hub caps.

I bought mine new July 2000 and it is just turning 60,000 miles. I still love mine. It is the only vehicle that I have not left stock. It is a also the only 4 wheel drive I have owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bootsy, I've only had mine since 11/04, but I fell in love with them when the ST first hit the market 7 years ago. I've got almost 110K on it and plan to keep it forever!

Very very good feedback for sure! I am gonna talk to the guy that is gonna do this stuff for me and see where he thinks we should start. But I am gonna get a new exhaust/intake here within the next week or 2....I probably won't be able to sleep for a while just thinking of all of this. :D

I loved my 2001 Job 2 ST. However, I had the 2-3 tranny flare, Timing chain rattle fixed, was worse and sounded like a diesel, u-joints shot, and the wonderful 65 MPH rear shake. All at 50K and highway driving.

I ended up trading it in for a FJ Cruiser.

However, end of the year I would like to get a F250 for the shop since I'm doing more and more commercial signage.