Opportunity... Would you?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith S

Reaction score
If you had the chance to go from an 07 V6 with 75k miles to an 08 V8 with 76k miles, would you and why?

Just "feeling" out this scenario.

Thanks,

Keith

To be fair is it all about the motor? That's basically the only info you gave us. 1 year is not that big of a change unless it was to a 2010 that had better seats and suspension.

The 4.0 and 4.6 are close in performance in the ST. Towing is a big difference, MPG is about the same.

All depends on the real "why".......

Todd Z

Towing would be the big thing for me. Was also wondering if there were better pros with the V8 than the V6. Both trucks are XLT's and the only differences between the two are the motor and both the exterior and interior colors. My current V6 is only getting 13mpg, but I have seen better with larger engines.

Ford upgraded the quality and feel and comfort in the later years. Try and sit in one if you can. All the 07-08 I work on feel nothing like my 2010.

When I drive my V8 I only get 13-15 MPG any way, So the MPG is not a savings Unless your towing, Then you will have the power and gearing for the tow.

Todd Z

What Todd said. I noticed a much better feel of comfort, tightness, handling, etc. when I traded my '07 to my '10. Everything seems more precise and crisp.

If the '08 was in good shape and had maintenance documented, I would probably go for it. The V8 is sweet, and a year newer is a year newer. I probably wouldn't do the trade if I had to pay more than $1000 or so for same vehicle. Remember, the '08 has a bigger mileage penalty due to being one year newer with similar mileage. Let NADA be your guide.

Idea: instead of trading, buy the '08, and go through and swap as many of the newer/better condition items (if any) from the '07 to the '08 and then sell the '07 (tires, wheels, battery, floor mats, ripped upholstery, any good accessories, upgrades, etc.).

If it were an '09 or '10, I would jump at it due to the minor improvements implemented. No doubt there were improvements in some parts, manufacturing methods, etc. from '07 to '08 too.)

Good luck.

Also, :worthless: of both vehicles!!! :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what the others are saying. You are comparing nearly identical vehicles with a difference of one year. I probably would not change, since there is little, if anything to be gained.

You know the history of your vehicle, so the real comparison is the 76K miles of wear and care you know you gave to your 2007 ST vs the UNKNOWN history of the 2008 ST. Sometimes you can easily see if the vehicle was cared for or abused, but sometimes that is not so easy to see. You need to be able to tell the difference between a really great vehicle, or did somebody just put lipstick on a pig...and that is not often evident in a photo or someone's description.

...Rich

2007 V6 vs. 2008 V8 with the same mileage. If price and condition are comparable, most here would opt for the 4.6L/6R60 in a heartbeat. IMO, no comparison, no brainer. :banghead:

My truck is basically stock performance wise except for a throttle body spacer; yes I know it may not be doing anything but at least is sounds cool doing nothing lol. Everything that I have done to my truck can be transferred to the "new" truck; such as seat covers, rubber floor mats, tonneau cover, and mud flaps. The rest is just appearance such as stickers and PlastiDip.

The V8 has the Truxxx lift/level kit, aftermarket rims/tires, K&N CAI, aftermarket exhaust, a performance tune, and an upgraded sound system. Owner says that they have kept up with all regular maintenance and has only used full synthetic fluids (Royal Purple for engine). Most of the things done to the V8 I was planning on doing to the V6.

Anyone want to buy a stock V6? Lol

Look at it this way, you won't have to worry about that plastic thermostat housing anymore. :grin:

The trade-off is that if the 4.6 was built before 11/30/07 it will have the dreaded two-piece spark plugs. :sad:

Keith,

Your use of the word, "Opportunity" makes it sound like you have already made up your mind?

Perhaps this may be the only 08 Sport Trac for sale in your area, but I feel you may be confusing Opportunity with a baited Fish Hook.

Others here have said that if the two vehicles have similar options, the same mileage and similar value, that is would be a No-Brainer? No-Brainer decisions are often the worse decisions.... I suggest you use your brain.

Remember that Car Dealers are in business to make money. FACT: New Car Dealers make more money from the sale of Used cars than they do selling new cars. The reason: It is easy for consumers to know exactly what a New Vehicle cost the dealer and what a fair price is. Not so easy with Used Cars because you don't know what the dealer paid, and you do not know why the previous owner sold it ? You really never know the vehicle's history and if it was well cared for abused and then cosmetically cleaned up (putting lipstick on a Pig).

They take your used Trade-In at a wholesale price and sell used cars at the retail price. That means they make money on both transactions.

If you decide to trade-in your 07 on the 08, you are essentially giving the dealer an infusion of cash from your bank account.

You will get a very low value for your old 07 so he can sell is for a profit...Probably $1000 in profit, or more. He will sell you the 08 for a similar price of $1000 over what he paid.

All things being equal, an 08 with similar mileage will have a higher value than your 07 regarless of the engine size, but a truck with a V8 will have more value than a truck with a V6. In the end, you will be giving the dealer about $2000+ in profit so you can drive a nearly identical truck to the one you have now?

Most people who want to trade up, will trade for a vehicle that is new, or 3-5 years newer than their old vehicle because the newer vehicle will have less miles, more technology features and options they want and can use.

I think that the trade of an 07-V6 for an 08-V8 is leaving way too much money on the table for the Dealer. I would never do that kind of a deal unless it was an equal swap, and we know that would not be the case unless there is something seriously wrong with the 08-V8.

...Rich

@Rich - neither of my 2 vehicle's were bought at a dealer. Same with the V8, it is the second owner that is selling it. My plan is to sell my current truck to a private party and then purchase the V8. Sadly the V8 is not local to me but I have a friend who lives near it. Thinking about visiting him to check the truck out and negotiate a price with the owner. Just have to wait until they get back from KOH.

Keith,

Good luck. You never said the 08 Sport Trac was a private party sale.

Without knowing all the details like, prices, location, condition, etc it's pretty hard for anybody to give you advices Anyway, it still sounds like you made up your mind already, so I wish you luck.

Many years ago I got some good advice from a car dealer, and although I disagreed at that time, I followed his advise and found that he was right. I was looking to trade in my 1965 GTO for a new 1967 GTO He said that it was a waste of money to pay to change to a newer model of the same vehicle simply because it's newer, even if it has different styling or a little more power or some new do-dad you like. I ended up keeping the 1965 GTO for over 6 years...and now I am sorry that I ever got rid of it. :cry:

...Rich

Rich, I had a similar experience. In Nov 1973, I ordered a new 1974 Ranchero GT. The next summer I was seriously considering ordering a new '75 identical to the '74. I came to my senses and didn't order a '75 because a) there wouldn't have been much difference, b) the '74 had given me no problems and it didn't make sense to trade what I knew for an unknown, and c) there wasn't another one that color anywhere near. In fact, I only saw 3 or 4 that were the same color combo - saddle bronze metallic with an orange stripe - in the 40 years since, and I get around. I drove it for 30 yrs, and only quit when the timing chain broke. It was very rusty by that time anyway. Had a 460 built for it before 460s became popular and had it repainted once.

I had another Ranchero, a '79 I was deciding whether to fix and repaint or sell. A friend told me I'd know if I made the right decision in about a year and a half. I sold it. Saw it about 2 years later and it was a mess. The bed had been covered most of it's life, but 2 yrs after I sold it, the bed had big rust holes.

In both cases I made the right decision, but you never know til after the fact, if ever.

No! It really doesn't make enough sense unless you told us that you bought a boat or camper trailer that you needed to tow. The other reason is that you could get the '08 for what you could sell your '07 for.

You now need to tell us WHY you need the V8 because that seems to be the only difference in all reality. Does your V6 not get you where you need to go?

@toptobottom - on a time to time basis I haul a tandem axle automotive trailer that I use to transport building materials as well as a Kubota B3200 tractor. That would be the main reason for getting the V8. The V6 does okay(ish) but strains on inclines.

Latest posts