OT: 03 ranger 4.0L rattle @ 15K miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Nesbit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a long time here. Almost bought a 2005 ST and still might buy a 2007/8 ST. I find this site invaluable!

My question: I have a 2003 ranger 4x4 with the 4.0L engine. If I stand next to the right front tire area I can hear a sligh knocking/rattleing sound. It varies with throttle, but not load (can't hear it in cab). The truck is only street driven and has only 15K miles on it. What could make such a noise so early in the engine's life??? I might think timing chain but I though that was fixed by 03 in the 4.0s....:(

Thanks for any input,

Chad

Check and make sure your cruise cable isn't "vibrating" against anything. Alot of people here thought they had a timing chain problem when it was just the cruise control cable vibrating against something. I would hope at 15K miles you wouldn't have that type of problem. Also, with my 2003 I have a problem with 87 oct gas. It will run like a deisel unless I put in 89 oct.;)

Thanks for the reply - I'll take a look under the hood. I have run 89 since the beginning and I don't get any detonation ping that I can hear, while driving at least.

I'm trying to find time to have the dealer listen to it, but it doesn't always do it as loud as other times...