OT: Craigslist / eBay SCAM???? - You be the Judge!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
Linked below is a Craigslist ad for a mint-looking '69 Camaro, sold and shipped from Orlando to anywhere in the country for $4,500 total.

The old saying is that if it "sounds too good to be true it probably is!"

Here is a copy of the email correspondance I have had with the seller (latest emails at the top):

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:49 PM

To: Rogers, Tom

Subject: Re: 69 Camaro - $4500

The car is already at the shipping company in Orlando, Florida sealed and ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work:

1.First of all I will need the following details from you:

- Full Name

- Full Shipping Address

2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.

3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.

4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.

5. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you. Thank you

--- On Wed, 8/13/08, Rogers, Tom wrote:

Subject: RE: 69 Camaro - $4500

To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 7:46 PM

Where is the car located?

TJR

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:46 PM

To: Rogers, Tom

Subject: Re: 69 Camaro - $4500

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I sell it at

this price ($4500) because i want a fast sale,i just finished the divorce with

my husband and i want to start a new life.

The car is in excellent working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of

damage, slightly used in 100% working with a clear title.

From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request only secure

pay, I prefer the payment to be made using eBay services.

We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a

purchase protection account for $20,000. The final price that I want for this

car is $4500 including shipping and handling costs.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address

so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.

Thanks

I think I will pass!

I'd be really cautius since its advertised on craigslist, and then she says she'll only deal through E-bay. I've put some stuff up on craigslist and almost immediately I get responses saying that the perosn wants to buy it but their wife/husband is in Africa right now and its a Birthday/Anniversary Present and they will pay $150 on top of the asking price to cover shipping. Its amazing that 5 people all e-mail me w/ the same story and they mistype a few words in the e-mail too. I've seen lots of postings of "recently divorced, need to start new life"

I laughed when you asked "where is it located" and she answered with a book. Actually, she didn't really tell you where it was located did she?

I don't see a problem advertising your eBay auction on craigslist if they allow that. However, I don't think eBay actually sets up transport of vehicles sold on eBay. I think they may do lead sales to transport companies though. Been about 7 years since I sold a car on eBay so I can't remember everything.

TJR, It's a scam buddy. No question. I wouldn't waste another second on that crap.

yeah you have to be careful about stuff like that, but thats definatly bs haha

and your right good luck starting a new life with 4500$!!:D

oh come on, have a heart. she is need of the cash and look what you are getting for a mere 4500.

maybe you can see how you can help her out in others ways :lol:

btw, i have a brige for sale in brooklyn :D

Last edited by a moderator:
SCAM. first thing that sticks out is the ebay comment. a seller can end an auction early, there is no contractual obligation to make an auction run to completion.

Latest posts