OT: floor jack stuck with truck on it

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
I have a 2 1/4 ton floor jack that I've had for some years. It's always been reliable and fast. The other day I jack up the front end to remove a wheel and inspect the brakes. My handle is used to release tension by twisting. Well apparently the bolt that it turns has either worn down or the nut hole has increased over time and wear. I couldn't get the jack to release.

I tried to use the Ford oem jack just to lift the track up enough to remove the 2 1/4 ton. The oem jack extended to its max and got stuck:wacko:. Now I have two jacks stuck in the up position. Finally I figured out the mechanics of the 2 1/4 ton and used a socket to get it released. I was able to jack it up a little higher to remove the oem jack.

The oem jack is still stuck in the extended position. How can I get it to retract? Simply turning the up/down key doesn't work.

Below is a pic of the jack handle and the bolt it turns to release tension. It has worn enough that it will turn freely over the head. Any thought's on how I can get more life out of this jack? I thought about just duct taping the nut to make it a tight fit.? Any thoughts?

[Broken External Image]:

This is a pretty good article to solve your problem.

<A HREF="http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00950186000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment">Basic Floor Jack Repairs</A>

sorry but that jack looks like it doesnt owe you anything anymore, time for retirement.

they are inexpensive enough now adays so put it out of its missery. keep it around for

sentimental value and to keep the new one company.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i had the same problem with my oem jack...i put it on my driveway and gave it a good solid smack with a small sledge and it worked fine afterwards. i think it was just extended to far and got stuck. good luck with them.

paul h:D

Either weld the head to the handle or weld a nut of the same size to the rounded bolt head. Of course you might think about buying a new jack to keep around for backup if you want to keep using that one. For the oem jack I assume it is a scissor jack. You may have ran the threads out and it is just really tight. May just need to be broken loose(wd-40). I am sure someone else will reply with other ideas.

Weld the sides of the nut up. Then using a grinding wheel with a nice flat wheel and reshape the bolt into the proper shape. I have do this several times to various custom fit applications.

Weld a new nut to the top of the old bolt. ;) A local machine shop would probably do it for little or no charge if you can't do it yourself.

It weighs about 60lbs. I looked at the date on the side and it shows 03/04/96:D. I guess 10+ years isn't bad. I priced some today and found them for around $30-$50.

SIMPLY USE AN OPEN END WRENCH ON THE TOP OF THE GEAR UNDER THE HANDLE PIVOT AND TURN....

the jack will lower...

No need to weld or do any thing crazy,,,,

Todd Z

Todd- That's what I did to get it down this time. I prefer to be a little further away when lowering though.

Latest posts