OT: Laptops

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a inspiron 1100. no major problems. there tech service sux. they dont speak english very well.

also have an ACER and cant say enough good things about it. Came home one day and opened it up and my 2.5 yr. old had pulled 5 of the keys off. they were broke so i couldnt put them back on. Called tech support to see where i could buy another keyboard (diddnt tell them what had happed) and they said u dont have to buy another one, we will send u one (im still under warranty) 2 days later i recieved a new keyboard.

was having trouble with the power cord, it had a short on it ( i could probably blame it on the kid again :) he pulled it off the end table and i believe it shorted out the wires. called tech support, they sent me another cable, got it in 2 days. THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD.

I have a NEC laptop and its killer. Works like a charm even tho its almost 10yrs old :p nothing beats the speed of 133mhz and windows 95. I don't like Dell desktops but have never had to deal with the laptops altho my plasma tv is a Dell plasma and I've had to have it replaced once (HDMI wasnt working) but other than that little fact its awesome. They are speedy on replacements.

I support about 10 Dell laptops (all newer Inspirons) and they are great. None of them have had any real problems and I would recommend them. I get different support because I call for a business. Otherwise their support is in India. Usually if you ask for a manager you will get someone in the US though.

George

Great... Sounds like DELL is ok for laptops.

I dont buy name brand PC's, but for a laptop I want to get something with some good service plan....

What about upgrading... I see there are lots of options from DELL, but can I add them later, or am I better getting them right off the bat?

Thanks for the info everyone!

I have an inspiron 9300 I use for my workhorse in my business and take it everywhere and I love it. Tech support IS terrible and paying for the warranties is killer but worth it. I also got the tv tuner and can take it for an extra TV/dvd player when camping. It's nice that it has the tv remote too.

My brother will only buy Dell products. He has had great luck/success with them and will not look at anything else..

I have never had a dell computer.

i have an inspiron 6000 and use it every day. only problem i had was my cat ran across the keyboard and turned my wireless connection off somehow. i couldn't figure out how to turn it back on and felt like an idiot. my wife has an inspiron 600m. one day out of nowhere she got the blue screen of death. no one could ever figure out why but we reformatted and reinstalled everything and it's good as new. i like my dell's. their customer service on the other hand needs to not be outsourced. whenever i've had to call i spendmore time say "what" and "huh" or "can you repeat that" than i do fixing the problem.

Is the warranty the same as the tech support?

I dont really require tech support, im faily fluent in computers... however for the machines components id like to get the MAX warranty I can get.

The max warranty is 4 years in home parts and labor. They also offer accidental protection in case you drop it or spill something on it, etc. You would still need to call support and have them troubleshoot a few things before they will send someone out. Dell is pretty good though and if they can't get it working they will send someone without a hassle. Others like HP/Compaq make you jump through hoops before you get a new part.

George

If your looking to buy anything.. I would wait unitl Vista comes out. Then you wil have the new OS and not have to upgrade.. I also heard that they (as in any computer company) are not going to include OS upgrades with any computer sale until Vista is released.

Dell is a fair company. I choose to build my computers though. Its fun :)

Latest posts