OT: Rain Gear ... any opinions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I am in need of some good rain gear. I am a NYC Sanitation Worker and am outside doing extreme work in all weather conditions throughout the year. The worst by far is the rain. I was given an old beat up pair of gortex rain gear that someone left behind when I first started. It was OK for a while but has now started leaking. From what I have read on the internet it may be from wear and tear or from the way I cleaned it. We get smelly garbage on us sometimes and it needs to be cleaned.

Anyone here have any ideas on what is good rain gear to buy? I normally only wear the pants unless it is a real heavy rain or gets cold. I have been searching and reading but am now more confused then before. The types and prices range alot. Any ideas or opinions is appreciated.

Keep the gortex. Just needs a little TLC. Here is a helpful link. Copy & Paste.

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentGView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=10301

Gortex. I have several of the military issue pants and jackets. You simply can not beat it. Go to a local Army Navy store and spend the money. When I was active in the military the pant were $188.00 and the jacket was $288.00. (Gov cost).

Knowing what I know now, even if they were that price retail I'd buy them. They are not restricting, vented, light weight and work fantastic.

Here is a pair of pants on ebay. They are listed as new and only at $29.99 and it ends in just over 2 hours from now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ECWCS-Gortex-Military-Army-Pants-medium-long_W0QQitemZ6629746814QQcategoryZ70987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here is the jacket going for only $39.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Gortex-Cold-Weather-Parka-Field-Jacket-MR-Used_W0QQitemZ110000202093QQcategoryZ36077QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Froggtoggs outerwear. Waterproof, breathable, affordable. Very lightweight so you won't get hot if you are active and very durable. Check them out at froggtoggs.com.

Thanks Kevin, (and the others). I missed the auction for the pants. Unfortuneately NYC will not let us wear camo. Of course they refuse to issue us rain gear and dont bother us too much about the color, as long as its not outragious, but they would go crazy if I wear camo.

Do they make the military stuff in plain green or the desert tan? I could get away with those.

My gotex came from a guy that owrked for the Jets, so it that bright Jets green. The NYC Sanitation color is dark green and I have had my b@ll$ busted about them. Go figure, makes no sense.

I'll check out the Froggtoggs too.

I wore light weight Kelty rain gear during a very rainy trip to the Costa Rican jungle and it kept me dry. I got it from Sierra Trading Post- they have a good web site and are reasonable.:cool:

JohnnyB, they do make it in tan as I have a set. Also, since it is required for your work and they do not issue the gear for you. You can buy a nice set and write it off on your taxes. I assume they are not giving you any allowance (financial) to buy the clothes required for your work. If not, then I am correct in telling you that you can write off the cost(s).

We get a small uniform allowence, after taxes it barely covers what we had to buy to get on the job and replace stuff that gets beat up. I guess after a bunch of years it evens out and eventually you may end up ahead. I have not gotten to that point yet. I do write off the stuff that I pay for that is not "official sanitation uniform".

The site above posted by D Hizzle is pretty good. I searched around and found the stuff to restore the water repellency. I am going to give that a try and if it does not work then I'll look harder for some better gear.

Thanks again to all that posted.