OT - Taking the Focus in, need advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Focus with 36,345 miles. It had developed a slight vibration at low speeds that increased significantly from 60-70mph (the worst is at about 65mph). Over time, the vibration got horrible and I noticed that my rear, driver's side tire was completely worn. Figuring it was just bad tires and tire wear, I waited until now (the rainy season down here) to replace them and just drove the ST for a while (with gas prices back down).

Well, yesterday I forked over the cash for some new Eagle GT tires and an alignment, which was only slightly off in the front. Well, low and behold, still have the vibration at the same exact speeds. The new tires just dampen it a bit. This makes me think it was not the tires at all and is either bad shocks or the axle.

I'm going to take it in to the dealership, but it is out of it's bumper to bumper warranty (3/36). The drivetrain, which includes the axle is covered for 5/100.

My dilemma is that if it's not the drivetrain and I take it in, I'll have to pay $49 for the "diagnosis". If anyone has any thoughts on what I should check before taking it in, or what the possible problem could be, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

Ouch!

Sorry to hear that Jenn. Hindsight is 20/20, but you should have taken it in sooner, replacing the tires sooner. That's good advice to you all.

The dealer MIGHT be forgiving since you are JUST over the mileage portion of the warranty and still well under the years, but don't count on it.

My Focus doesn't exhibit that problem. Also, I opted for the extended warranty, which I so totally don't believe in buying in principle. However, the deal was too good to pass up. $300 to extend everything from 36 mos/36k miles to 72 mos, 72k miles.

Do you have any documentation of the prior excessive tire wear issue that is dated/mileaged prior to the 36k miles? If so, take it in.

P.S. This is one good reason to take the ST into the dealer for an oil change at least once a year. The dealer does a pt-by-pt inspection, noting tire wear, etc.

TJR

Yep, hindsight is 20/20. Honestly, this car is meant to be a cheap daily driver. I've definitely been lax about getting the tire issue fixed and it's going to cost me. Lesson learned.

I don't expect any special favors because it is what it is. I waited too long, and it is ultimately my fault.

As for extended warranties, I never buy them unless presented with an awesome deal. If they offered it for $300 when I bought it, I would have. $300 would be justified with this issue, $900 or more would not. After all, my engine (the most expensive part) is covered for 100K miles.

The saddest part of this all is that I am rethinking my plans of buying another Ford in the future. Granted, I have not had any major problems with any of my fords, but I am sick and tired of little, easily solved things -tire/shocks/ride quality issues. My ST had cupped tires at 4500 mi. The dealer rotated them and dismissed it. I went in again at 12,500 mi and was told it was out of the 12k mile warranty and there was nothing they could do. Now, the focus is having similar issues. For something so minor, I'm getting tired of trying to solve their problems that come off the line. I shouldn't have to keep records signed by a notary public to ensure I get a good vehicle and treatment.

And yes, this is partly my fault, but I'm tired of being a watchdog for Ford's issues and ultimately being punished for not catching them in time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenn D,

I certainly appreciate the way you feel and what you are saying.

Many here will apologize for Ford and blame the owner. I wasn't trying to blame you. My "feeling" is that Ford still has more quality issues than the imports, especially for wear items like shocks, tires and brakes. Many Ford owners have come to expect and accept this.

One shouldn't have to replace shocks as they drive off the dealer lot in order to get a safe, acceptable ride, but that's what was needed for the gen 1 STs. One shouldn't expect to have to replace tires at less than 25k miles. One shouldn't expect to see abnormal tire wear at 10k or 15k miles (with proper rotation nonetheless). But all of these we seem to expect and accept with Fords.

Yes, there will be those that say they haven't had these issues, and some of those will blame the owner and the way they drive or maintain their vehicle for the problems. But there are many more that have these issues, and given the seeming alarming rate (and related TSBs that show a smoking gun) there seems to be real issues here.

Ford uses some pretty cheap-arse OEM parts. The couple of imports I have bought I didn't replace tires, or shocks, or brake pads nearly as soon as I have on my domestics.

As for excessive/irregular tire wear...I really think there is an engineering issue at play here. It seems to happen all too often, especially on the Explorers.

TJR

Awe, I know you're not knocking the owner in this case Tom. It's just frustrating for me because yes, I could have intervened sooner. It sucks being busy and sure it's an excuse, but in the last 3 months we've had to replace a back door and completely rebuild our shower/bathroom due to a leak. Needless to say, money and time has been tight for us - I figured I'd squeeze as much time and use as possible out of the Focus and got burned.

Oh well. I'm guessing I'll take it in to the dealer and listen to/pay for whatever lie/BS they offer.

Well since the one rear tire was shot, did the car ever hit a curb, or a bad pot hole ??? Maybe the rim is bent and the tire place never caught it ??

I do agree it could be a bad suspension part or axle since it is speed related...

Where do you feel the vibration ?? Seats ?? Steering wheel, Front rear ??

I don't think a rotor or drum is causing it....

You could jack up the car and spin the tires and see if any wobble or look at what the axles are doing...

The tire alignment shop does not check these things for free ???

COULD you tell them you have a vibration now that the tires were replaced and let them diagnose it ???

Just a thought...

Todd Z

Hey Todd, I told the tire guy about the vibration and they said they'd check it all, including the alignment. He didn't say anything was "out of order".

As for the vibration, it shakes the whole car. Before the new tires it was bad enough to vibrate my voice if I was on the phone while driving. It shakes the mirrors, the steering wheel, and actually feels great on the back... :wacko: I've felt it both in the driver and passenger seats.

As mentioned before, you can feel it slightly at slow speeds (around 35-40 mph) but it becomes very noticeable from 60-70mph.

On the drive home from the tire shop, I didn't notice it at all.

The only really bad tire was the driver-side rear. It had uneven wear and was completely bald in spots.

As for hitting any curbs, nope. I'm the only driver of the Focus and I haven't hit any curbs.

We're toying with the idea of just putting on new shocks to see what happens, but I'm worried it may mask a bigger problem. Any suggestions on whether I should try the new shocks first?

No, Don't just change things...... I could almost guaranty it is not a shock or strut...

When driving the car at 60 or so... Throw the car in neutral and let the engine idel.... IF the vibration is there is is something in the drive train or wheels....

IF it goes away it is in the engine......

If you rev the engine in park there is no vibration ??

Todd Z

If you rev the engine in park there is no vibration ??

Nope.

When driving the car at 60 or so... Throw the car in neutral and let the engine idel.... IF the vibration is there is is something in the drive train or wheels....

I will try this.

One of my bigger concerns is that if I take it in, the service tech will tell me it's the tires, and the tire place will tell me it's not. And every time it goes to Ford and they don't think it's the drivetrain will cost me $49. The game could get expensive. So, if I try that throwing it into neutral trick and it does still vibrate, indicating a probable drivetrain issue, what should I say when I take it in? (mainly to at least indicate that I'm not an ignorant girl who can be "pushed over".

If you seem to be getting the run-around when you go to the dealer, try a different one. We all wear the Ford oval, but we are all different companies. It could just be something shady at the dealer you've been using. Just a thought.

Well, I just got home from work. On the highway, I got up to the point where the shaking was at it's maximum and shifted into neutral and nothing changed.

I'm thinking what I'm going to do at this point is take it back to the tire place, give them another go at balancing, and tell them to look around again to see if they can find what's causing it. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to have to take it into the dealership and hope they can figure it out. If not, I'll just have to deal with it, which sucks, but is do-able.

Not sure what else to do at this point.

Jenn,

The tire place should be able to run the car in the air and look at the axles and drivetrain to see what is causing it...

Keep us posted..

Todd Z

Good Luck, Jenn. I think Todd is giving you good advice. Might not be the "same" vibration as before- I'd have the tire place look it over and diagnose it. Maybe you have a bad tire or out-of-round, or threw a weight or something. Maybe the tech didn't get the alignment right or didn't tighten down something. Stuff does happen.

I'd be wary of replacing any parts. Shocks/struts shouldn't cause a vibration. Brake discs/drums would have to be really bad otherwise to cause a problem. Bad CV joints or a wheel bearing- maybe, but I'd guess you'd hear a lot of racket if it was them.

Keep us posted.

Thanks again everyone. Sorry for my frustrations. It's been a rough couple of weeks and this is just the cherry on top.

Here's to hoping it's just the tires...

I'll update everyone when I get things figured out.

Latest posts