OUCH!!!!....UPDATE on GAUGE!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They funny thing is that Americas #2 oil supplier is Alberta, Canada. Its where Im from. we have plenty. Tell Bush that he doesnt need the middle east during this crisis and he can buy more from us.:p

I've seen a lot of new oil wells right here in Oklahoma City. It looks like the US is beginning to realize we can help ourselves out of this mess. I wonder if there is oil under my house....maybe I'll start drilling. :unsure:

Filled up, I think it was around $61 for a tank of 93 octane. I get 23-25mpg driving my ST around town conservatively, 21-22mpg flooring it everywhere like I like to do, and 26-27mpg on the interstate keeping my foot out of it and staying in the right lane. I have under 1/2 a tank and I'm driving to 3hrs WFoy's house tomorrow; I expect to make it, and have enough gas to make several runs at the track tomorrow night as well.

Just wondering, I thought we had a 22 gallon fuel tank, but I"m noticing that chops filled up with 24.001 gallons. Are there different size tank for the different model years?

I am supposed to have 22.5 gal tanks. I have a 2004, and have not come this close before to 24 gallons. The scary thing is the 'Low Fuel' light came on just 3 miles before I stopped for fuel, and even then the needle was not dead set on 'E'.

So I was barely running on vapors it looks like, I could easily see putting a gallon in the filler neck (but probably not much more due to it's length)

My fuel gage must be inaccurate. Hopefully it was just a one time deal. I know in the past the low fuel light alarms at about 1/8 tank left.

Wow, even the one time I ran out of gas ( don't drive interstate 81 on 4 AM on christmas morning through west virginia) it only took 22.3 gallons on my '02

To me it sounds like the station's metering system is out of calibration.

I have run my tank so low that it stalled pulling into the station and I have never been able to put 24 gallons in the tank no matter how hard I tried.

Tom

Well since the beginning of this thread (7-19-06) , I have driven 265 miles as of this morning.

I almost ran out of fuel on that date, without realizing it due to the fuel gauge did not alarm until near the end.

My fuel gauge is now showing 7/8 FULL from that full tank.

Now I like seeing a full tank, but not a pseudo full tank. At this rate, I'm getting 88 miles per gallon.

I shudder to think that I have to waste time at a dealer.

Any suggestions? Disconnect battery? Give it time?

The needle isn't stuck, it zeros out with the ignition off.

Is the fuel tank sender (I suppose they still use a variable resister for fuel level) an input to the CPU or does the sender input directly to the fuel gauge?

Thanks!

I don't believe anyone who says they get this much mileage, or even anything in the 20' around town. You probably miscalculated, have an uncalibrated or miscalibrated tach, different tires...etc.

While it does seem unlikely, I'm sure it is possible, especially considering the amount of money that Jeff has put into his truck for performance parts. Just looking in his profile shows that he has intake, exhaust, XCal, Y-pipe, bored throttle body, and an upgraded MAF. As RichardL has stated many times before, mileage is based on many uncontrollable conditions, including the three T's, traffic, temperature, and terrain.

Back to the the topic, I can consistently get 22 mpg doing all highway miles, but am closer to 16-17 around town.

I don't believe anyone who says they get this much mileage, or even anything in the 20' around town. You probably miscalculated, have an uncalibrated or miscalibrated tach, different tires...etc.

Q, that's fine if you don't believe me. I know what your opinion is worth, and I've seen dogs leave neat little piles worth more. I know how to calculate my gas mileage; I use the same pump at the same station every time I get gas. I always get 93 octane, and it's always between 18.5 and 19 gallons every time I fill up. I have plenty of money into mods you don't have, and it's been proven that anything that increases power, theoretically increases gas mileage, if the driver is conservative. I did a run of 3 tanks doing an experiment; no more than 2000rpms on acceleration, no more than 60mph on the interstate, basically being the most conservative driver I've ever been, and I averaged 29mpg over those tanks. I generally get 525-550 miles on a tank on the interstate, and between 400-450 miles around town driving 90 to nuthin.

Allen. I am a long standing member here with a good reputation, tons of info, and I've helped plenty of people. Q does nothing but belittle people and their trucks. I have asked for him to be banned on more than one occasion, but since he hasn't broken any official rules, he is not banned. I am usually a courteous and polite person, but when he basically calls me either a liar or an idiot without saying as much, I am no longer polite. If you look through Q's posts, you'll be lucky to find 10 that are positive. If you look through my posts, you'd be hard pressed to find 10 that are negative.