Out of state purchase - CA to AZ

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric C 2

Reaction score
Hoping someone can offer some insight and suggestions on my predicament below.

I found an A4 in California that I am wanting to purchase, but I live in Arizona. The plan was to fly down there and drive it home. Here's where the problem is and I am getting mixed answers. The dealership says I cannot drive it off the lot without registering the car in California. When I told this to my insurance agency (State Farm), they said if I register it there, I also would have to get insurance there. On top of that, once I get it here, I assume I would have to cancel my CA registration and re-register in Arizona. Unless California gives full or partial refunds, I would then get hit twice on the registration. Again, an assumption. Can I not just get temporary tags, register it in AZ, and drive it home?

Option 2 is I can pay them $1200 to ship it here, which is probably $700 more then me just flying down there and driving home. Also I will get the car site unseen, with the exception of pictures online. I would like to at least view it in person first and drive it, this way if for some reason I don't want it, I simply buy a ticket home.

Basically, what is the best way to handle this? I would preferably like to fly out there and drive it home, but it's looking to be a bigger headache then its worth. I'm all for paying a little extra to make things easier, but $700+ is a bit more difficult to swallow. I'm going to call the DMV's for both states tomorrow as they are currently closed, but would greatly appreciate any help with this situation. Thanks in advance!

I don't mean this sarcastically, but...you can't find an A4 close to home? Is there something special about this A4?

I personally would never buy a car without seeing it, inspecting it, and driving it. Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree. I look nearly everyday for A4's, especially in Arizona, but there just aren't any with the options I want. A4's are definitely not difficult to come by, but one's with the options this one has, with the bonus of being CPO, is nearly impossible. I almost bought one Saturday but was literally an hour late. I was talking prices with the guy when someone advised us it had just sold. I'm in no rush to buy, so I can obviously let this go and continue to wait, but I've been looking for sometime and I know this type of car doesn't come up often. I would bet that $1200 it will be sold before the weekend is up.

Sintec,

I would be very suspicious of that dealer. He is implying that CA does not offer a temporary registration???

I would contact one of the CA Vehicle Registration Center near where the car is located and ask them how you can get the vehicle out of California to register it in AZ. Ask if they offer a temporary tag, or if you can carry it with all 4 wheels up on a car-hauler. I'm sure you are not the first and only person who bought a car in CA and wanted to take it to another state to register it.

I would rent a flatbed truck or a car-hauler trailer and just carry the car back to AZ... Even with the cost of gas, that should not cost you any more than your airline tickets and it would be cheaper than the $1200 the dealer is charging to ship it. Also, don't pay him a dime in advance....just tell him you are coming yourself and will arrange for the shipping...Then see what he says

If the dealer claims you cannot arrange your own shipping or you cannot haul it back yourself, on a legal car-hauler...THEN RUN, don't walk away from that deal because it's a scam. The dealer is a crook and if you pay him to ship it you will never see the car or your money again.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Sintec,

I spoke with my friend who works at AAA in California. You can obtain a One Trip Permit from the California DMV which allows you to purchase a vehicle from a dealer in Calif and immediately remove it from the state (within a reasonable amount of time). The permit cost about $35 and allows you to drive the vehicle so you do not have to tow it. You must have the permit before you puchase the vehicle. so you may need the VIN# and license#. Check with the dealer to see if they are aware of this program and can help you. I would also check with the Calif DMV (http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm?lang=en) to see what they require and how long it takes to get the permit. If you register the car in Calif, you may not be able to get a refund.

Hope this helps.

Eddie,

An A4 is a midsizecar model made by Audi (German car maker), about the same size and weight of a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu, etc Prices start in the low $30K range but are known for good quality. The A4 single handedly brought Audi back from the grave back in the mid 1990's, and is probably their best selling model to this day.

...Rich

Latest posts