Out with the Old 07 and in with the New 2010

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got rid of my 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 Oxford/Camel V8. I replaced it with a 2010 STA Torch Red Awd V8. It was loaded up with all the options but the only thing that hasn't been installed is the remote start. It shows on the window sticker but it is a factory invoiced item but installed by the dealer. I would have thought that they would placed it on at the factory at the build time. Has anybody had this item installed or installed it themself?

I have it in my '07 that was invoiced but dealer installed. The module had all the wires wrapped around it and the antenna. Then all that was wrapped in electrical tape and the whole mess was wedged in the center console under the drivers side panel. I found it that way when I put in my new DVD/Nav system. At least it worked, just poorly installed.

Mine also was ordered with the vehicle and dealer installed. I took them 2 days to install as some connector was wrong.

jdc--congrats on the 2010 STA, I just ordered mine this past Monday. I chose the brilliant silver metallic. Sold my 08 ltd. v8 with 32000 miles outright.

Rod

I didnt know the 2010 was on the lots already....:D

I would like an STA but my Harley Road king comes first.:)

hell i wish i could get something new. i still have my 03 and still have untill 2012 to pay it off. got it in 06. but it dosen`t help with the wife not working can`t get a job.:(

You will be happy, the Adrenalins are dependable great looking, and awesome in the snow.

I will probably pull mine out for the next snow storm (winter car). Wish there were more aftermarket parts, they should be coming.

I had worked as an installer for about 10 years, years back. We were a Certified Ford warranty depot taking care of all radio and most electronic trouble shooting, repairs and swaps.

During my time as an installer Ford released their factory installed remote starter.

During my time as an installer I probably had installed a dozen or so of them. Id say probably 1/2 of customers returned the vehicle to Ford to have the starter removed and a different unit installed. Majority of the complaints were intermittent operation and range issues. The units were a complete nightmare to install.

When the units did work they worked well but in my opinion it would not be my first choice of starter given all of the aftermarket options.

I'm sure the technology has changed over the years and has gotten quite a bit better, that's just my personal experience I thought I'd share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend installing it yourself. I've been out of the business for quite a few years now and actually had a good friend of mine still in the biz install it for me. Technology in vehicles sure has changed over the years, I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

One thing he did for me was use a "Remote Box".

You'll notice with the factory key fob when you unlock the doors all the courtesy lights come on (Mirrors, fog lamps, etc.). With an add on it will only unlock your doors. The way the Remote box works is... You place the factory remote inside the box and solder lines directly on to the PC board (Unlock, Lock & Power). From there the remote box connects to the add on system. When you hit Unlock on your after market fob it triggers the unlock on the factory fob triggering the locks and all the lights, it works as factory and is pretty cool! That way you only require the one after market remote and your vehicle operates as if you were using the factory.