Outside Temperature Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Markey 2

Reaction score
I want to purchase and install a new outside air temperature sensor (part that's next to the horn, bolted to the radiator section). Can anyone recommend a brand and provide me a part number? A search of the archives did not help.

Thanks.

I'm guessing this would be a dealer part only. ..Try cleaning inside of it really well (spraying the cr*p out of it) with electrical cleaner if you having issues.

There are threads here talking about replacing it with a $15 part. That is what I want to do (tired of seeing my console read "140 degrees". I just need to know the exact part name/number because apparently there is also an ambient temperature senor that is somehow linked to the A/C. I do not want to buy the wrong part.

Thanks.

Looks like there might be a little confusion with the replies.

Is it the coolant temp sensor?

Mass airflow sensor?

Or overhead console outside air sensor? :haveabeer:

That 140 degrees sounds like a possibility that it is the high end of the scale for the display. Sounds like the console readout may be seeing either a direct short or a complete open. Might want to test the current sensor first. Could be wiring or a problem with the inside console. Maybe just a plug came loose is all.

I am a big fan of doing a little diagnostic work rather than just throwing parts (and money) at a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thought Gavin! I just read on another forum that someone else was reading the 140. I looked in my 03 Ford Wiring Diagram. "Ambient air temperature sensor". Part #19E702. 2 pin Potentiometer. Definitely could be unplugged from the console. ..Looks like you can hook up a voltmeter to a known good ground and stick the other lead right into the sensor. dark blue/yellow wire pin is the feed and the darkblue/white wire pin is the return. I'm guessing (key in run position)it should read between .?millivolts-5volts depending on the temp outside. maybe 2-3volt range? (5volts on feed and 2-3ish on return)Let me know if I can help as I have the wiring diagram. Although, I must admit, I am just started learning how to read them this week.

for the temp connector-looks like its the side of the console that has just the temp connector and a wire going to ground. The opposite side has a lot of wires/ courtesy lamps/illumination/feed to fuse and to PCM.

EDIT: ignore this. the wiring diagram doesn't read the way I thought. Connectors and wires could be anywhere on the console

Thanks but that link does not work. I tried a second time and it worked. Odd.

I will remove the console and look for anything loose. In the meantime, I ordered a cheap one for around $10.00 We'll see. Thanks.

Here's what I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/STANDARD-PARTS-Charge-Temperature-Sensor/dp/B005ETDXAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373512899&sr=8-1&keywords=STANDARD-PARTS+Temperature+Sensor+tX12

weird. On rockauto when I typed in "ambient air temperature sensor" it showed the part you found. But, when I added the word "connector" to the end it showed the one I listed. I guess it will work since someone(you maybe?) on the amazon listing asked if it was the one that displayed the outside air temp and the comp. replied yes. Good luck Man! Let us know how it goes. ...I am hoping to one day install an overhead console. Since the sensor is already connected ready to go. It didn't come with one but the wiring is there:supercool:

Latest posts