Outsourcing Prisons.....?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
A concept that may fuel interesting conversation. Please keep it civil. I am truly interested in other people's take on this...

Schwarzenegger proposes Mexican jails take US inmates

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has suggested the state could reduce prison spending by housing undocumented inmates in Mexican jails.

In comments made during a question and answer session, he seemed to suggest the prisons would be specially built.

Mr Schwarzenegger said the costs of building and running the prisons in Mexico would be half of California's.

The state has one of the most overcrowded and underfunded prison systems in the US.

Last year, after a riot broke out in one prison, authorities were ordered to develop a plan to free 40,000 of the 150,000 inmates being held within two years.

"I think we can do so much better in the prison system alone if we can go and take inmates - for instance, the 20,000 inmates that are illegal immigrants that are here - and get them to Mexico," Mr Schwarzenegger said.

"We pay them to build the prisons down in Mexico. And then we have those undocumented migrants down there in prison. It would half the costs to build the prison and run the prison," he said.

"We could save a billion dollars right there that could go into higher education."

He added that he believed allowing the private sector to become involved in running and managing prisons would also help cut costs.

Earlier this month, the California governor declared a fiscal emergency, announcing that severe cuts would be needed to stem a $19.9bn (12.3bn) deficit.

There was a case where there was a private prison for teenage boys. It was proven to be a sham and kids were sent to prison for things they shouldn't have.

Ended up being a mega profit facility at the expense of innocent kids that have been turned bad by being in prison when they not have been.

Tom

Tom, I could see where that could be the case if profit were somehow involved, but in this case, it is simply about saving money. I see no profit to be made.

My main issue would be "the private sector" in Mexico running the prison. If we send the illegals down there to their comrades, are we allowing them to decide when a murderer or imprisoned drug lord gets out? Seems to me like there is some potential for some shading dealing. On the flip side, if it run harshly and with less compassion than our prisons here in the US, it could potentially deter illegals here in the US to commit crimes and risk being sent to these out of country prisons.

So, I guess the question I have for anyone who so chooses to answer is: What do we do with illegals that commit major crimes on American soil? Do we put them in our overcrowded prisons where they'll get 3 squares a day and place to sleep? Do we send them to a prison in another country funded by us? Or is there a better answer?

My take on the subject: wall off 40K acres in the wilds of Nevada, topped with electrified razor wire.

drill wells for suppling water and irrigating farmland within the compound.

transfer 20K of kalis most dangerous inmates to said Compound.

Give them a herd of Cattle, pigs, chickins, seed to grow food crops, give them building materials to build shelters and sanitary disposal sites.

surround the compound with $8 an hour rent a cops, supply them with automatic weapons and orders to kill anyone leaving the compound, let the coyotys and buzzards deal with the leftovers.

after a year will be maybe 5K inmates left due to gang wars in the compound, mortality of escapees etc.

Than transfer 15 K more inmates to the compound, re-supply them, close the gates, let them have at it.

Do the same year after year, and before you know it, kalis prisons will be empty:banana:

Simple solutions to Billion $ problems.

You gotta love Arnold!

c00f0cd80ca28bb260055e07fae3947e.jpg

Illegal Aliens,

HASTA LA VISTA .... BABY!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think giving corrupt Mexican politicians money is the answer.

They encourage their people to cross the border illegally to begin with.

How can we expect them to build prisons to house those same people

they send over our borders?

Sounds like a crazy ideal to me.

We have better ties to Turkey than Mexico in some ways.

Let's outsource our prisoners there, We know how they treat their

prisoners. ie Midnight Express.

Tom - I understand your point, but there would (should?) be a dividing line as I see it. The private sector would be from Mexico. The illegals would be apprehended on US soil. The private sector could not skew the number of inmates to their favor, they would get only what we send them.

Private sector=profit margin
=efficiency=cost savings (more often than not), which is found nowhere in the public sector.

I'm not for this idea of of outsourcing to Mexico, though. I like Bill's idea, only the prisoners would still have it too easy in the NV desert. Instead build the prison in the middle of the frozen tundra of Alaska. Better yet, built camps in the tundra like Sheriff Joe Arpayo has in Maricopa County AZ. It's supposed to be hard time!

Private sector=profit margin.

Not a new idea, there are plenty of prisons in this country run by the private sector.

My take on the subject: wall off 40K acres in the wilds of Nevada, topped with electrified razor wire. drill wells for suppling water and irrigating farmland within the compound. transfer 20K of kalis most dangerous inmates to said Compound.

Give them a herd of Cattle, pigs, chickins, seed to grow food crops, give them building materials to build shelters and sanitary disposal sites. surround the compound with $8 an hour rent a cops, supply them with automatic weapons and orders to kill anyone leaving the compound, let the coyotys and buzzards deal with the leftovers. after a year will be maybe 5K inmates left due to gang wars in the compound, mortality of escapees etc. Than transfer 15 K more inmates to the compound, re-supply them, close the gates, let them have at it.

Excellent idea...:smile0006:

I would say OK but it would defintely be a death sentence. Mexican prisons are on the same level as Middle Age Dungeons. Some would deserve this, some wouldn't.

Take them to the islands where we used to do nuclear weapons testing. Let them try to make a living there. Line the area with depth charges and mines with only one way in and one way out. Anybody trying to escape gets to feed the sharks!

One more thing. Make the area a no-fly zone. Any non-military aircraft is automatically shot down. No questions asked.

Since Arnold can't run again, I say BB for gov'ner!!!! EXCELLENT idea Bill! Most would die from starvation or exposure, since not many could or would build their own shelter or grow their own food. But who cares? Let's build it by Yucca Mountain... dispose of the nuclear waste and top it with prisoners.

having a jaded past, would not pass the backround checks Krash.

The entire penal System is so screwed up, in my above plan,stock the nevada compound with all the death row inmates, all the repeat child molestors, all the serial rapests.

After a year repeat the process.

The humane public will never know what is happening behind the walls

than release all the prisoners convicted of minor drug offenses, tax cheats, the little guys that actually hurt nobody but themselves, from the state prisons

The nevada compound would be like the animal kingdom, as god intended, the weak and the stupid would die (natural selection).

The strong and smart would survive for a time, until they got older and the new batch takes them out, just seems to me like a no brainer.

having a jaded past, would not pass the backround checks Krash.

What are you worried about, Bill? We know little to nothing concrete about our current President's past, yet he got a security clearance!:smile0009:

Roger, sadly that wouldn't work. The cost of getting prisoners to that super alcatraz wouldn't be worth it, as people thrive on an island where we did nuclear weapons testing already--it's called Japan ;)

Bill Barber's idea sounds grand, like a controlled Camp Sumter, though hopefully without the wrongful execution and mockery of the justice system.

Besides the fact that he said he wouldn't, why can't Arnold run again? (Though I hope he doesn't--the Kennedy influence has destroyed him :( )

drpertz, just come to MD and kill off the pests. Don't let any "No hunting beyond this point" signs stop you. There aren't enough predators around here to hunt 'em anyhow, so it will be ecologically sound. But if you'd rather go to out and live out The Most Dangerous Game, it's your call :smile0015:

KL, wrongfull execution????

under my grand plan, justice system is in no way envolved, envision the barber compound, in the hinterlands of Nevada.

envision, Bubba washington, serial Killer, (raped and killed 8 females, with a hammer)

Envision, Earl smith (killed two 6 year old girls, after raping them, with a knife)

So bubba and Earl are in the compound, give bubba a hammer, Give Earl a knife, one will die, one may live.

All are darwin winners, let them them deplete the gene pool they live in, we will all be better off, 5 yrs max, the bad guys will be gone.

Will back off on saying the public should not know about what happens behind the walls.

maybe the bad guys, watching a continous TV link, in seeing Bubba, smash earls head in, might think twice, you kill, you rape, you molest a child, you do life at camp barber, nevada, never to be released, ever, no parole, no clemancy, no pardons, your on your own.

where you can fight for your life, is only right.

Mexico politicians would give them cheap plastic surgery and a new name. So we will send them back several times for the extra $$$. In the politicians private ownership of the prisons in Mexico.

Latest posts