Overall is the trac a good buy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason ganly

Reaction score
For all you owners out there... The question is...

would you do it again?

Im in the market to a new vehicle and the trac has something about her that I like... But the tranny, brakes, and other mechainical issues bother me...

I would do it again for functional purposes. I play alot of golf and hockey and the bed is the perfect size for a person like me.

I would not do it again b/c of the lack of aftermarket parts available. I've always liked the ability to install both performance and cosmetic accessories. Either the parts are limited to one style or they are not available without customization

I like the Trac BUT, the service and the unwillingness to properly diagnose issues from ford has turned me away. Customer service should always be just that, customer service which in turn will equal customer satisfaction. This is the first ford I've owned and will probably be the last.

Yes and I plan to. It is one of the most versital vehicles I've owned. Unless a company comes out with something else that REALLY catches my eye, I'll have a 2010 ST. Every car company has their problems. Dodge trucks have problems with the steering boxes. My father-in-law has one that has had 7 new steering boxes put in, Chrysler minivans have tranny problems, and almost all of the "Foriegn" competitors charge an arm and a leg for their parts. I love the ST and always will.;)

I would do it again......my ST has 110000 miles on her and no major problems.

True as Jason stated, there are few aftermarket parts available for the ST (2001 to 2005) model year but one can get creative custom wise up to your cash flow allows. You can get some some performance upgrades from Explorer Express and heck all ST prior to the Job 1 2007 ST have the Power Down rear window which makes the Trac a Sport Trac.

Just my 2 cents, but yup I'd buy another ST and will mostly wait for a job 2 2007 or later ST when it's time to let go of my 2002.

Q1: Overall is the trac a good buy? Yes, I would say so, since the Sport Trac is a very roomy crew cab pickup. The other mid-sized and some full-sized crew cabs are not as comfortable to sit in as our trucks are. The Sport Trac is a compromise between a family sedan, SUV and pickup, and is capable in all three roles

Q2: Would you do it again? Probably not. I am on my second Sport Trac, and even though I love my truck, I may go with something different next time. My next vehicle will be a second car, and I will keep the Sport Trac to share with my daughter until she gets married and moves away from home (many years from now, I hope). Current options are the Mini CooperS, Toyota Matrix, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Nissan X-Terra and Ford F-150 (in no particular order). I really think the X-Terras are cool, but the FJ looks cooler.

yes, I will do it again, just not right now, my o3 is only 30K miles..

Todd Z

No. I would upsize to a F150 for the extra room in the back seat area. 3 kids is a tight squeeze in the rear seat.

At the time the price was right compared to the Tacoma, Dakota and Frontier. It was the best buy in its class.

I've had only one problem with my 04 and it was covered under warranty. The Trac is the most versatile vehicle I've ever owned; so, yes, I would buy another one maybe in 2014 or 2015 when mine is worn out. By thenm though, who knows what will be available in something like a Trac.

Mine has been great. I actually planned on getting an F150 super crew, but ran across an ST while at the dealership. Ended up going with the ST. I've had it a couple of years and am thinking about a new vehicle. I just get the itch for something new periodically. As always, I'll look at all the options that functionally work for me. But, the ST is number one on my list and something else is going to have really impress me. I've had no problems so far (67k) and the bed, interior, etc, has been perfect for me.

I'm an outdoors person, mountain biking, fishing, etc. and I work in various locales when not driving, so yes I would do it again without hesitation.

This truck is tough & versatile, without comprimising on style and comfort! I've taking it -4x2- off road in snow and rain and she didn't miss a beat, the guy with 4 wheel drive thought he'd have to pull me out of some tough spots but she went thru stuff like it was just a normal ride thru the park! And it was!

So if your an active person or like having versatility, this is the vehicle for you. While there are not a lot of aftermarket parts available, it gives me the chance to be different and creative! I doubt there are many other vehicles that can take on a unique personality as well as the ST can!

D-

Have a 2001, and would buy it again,:wub: The 'Trac has been called the *swiss Army Knife* of trucks for the versatility.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Yup, absolutely. Late model 2002 that is really an 03. Two minor problems fixed under warranty. Also tow a travel trailer like its not even there, and get good gas mileage. Love it!

:D

Yes. The Trac is a great combination of being able to carry 5 passengers and a small pickup at the same time. If you really need a truck for serious hauling, the bed is a little small and you'd be better served with a Ranger or an F150 with a larger bed. I bought it for size and flexibility. So far I am satisfied with the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts