Overheating

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock Lagunas

Reaction score
OK so heres my question... my truck has been overheating. Its not overheating all the time only when i stop. Anyone know why that might be? I figured it would overheat while im driving not stopped. I was thinking maybe i have mud build up on the inside of the radiater? Also my compressor is switching on and of. I ran a search and ive read that its due to low freeon, but mine clicks on more with the heater on? Can anyone help me with this?

Change your thermostat for starters. Check the coolant level (when the engine is cool). You're not overheating when you drive 'cuz the moving air keeps her cool. If you lived in Arizona and it was July, it'd be a different story...'course it's not like it's cold in Texas either, but still...the moving air keeps her cool while you're driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overheating when stopped?

This tells me that the radiator is getting plenty of air while you are moving, but not while stopped.

I would check the fan clutch. The fan should be compensating for the lack of air getting through the radiator while the vehicle is not rolling. But it sounds like it isn't.

cheers,

Brock,

As previously stated, check your coolant level, thermostat, and fan clutch. Those are the most common sources of cooling problems while at idle or low speeds.

If you find that your fan clutch is bad, you may want to consider switching over to an electric fan with a thermostatic contol. An electric fan will free up about 5-8 HP and give you a little better gas mileage as a bonus.

...Rich

ok i cleaned the iac... still cycling, as for the over heating my thermostat is new, and my clutch is working fine. coolant is also at proper levels. anyother ideas?

Brock,

The AC compressor is supposed to cycle on an off. Even if you have the heat on, the compressor is running. The only positions where the AC compressor does not run is in the straight up OFF position, and the positions just left and right of the OFF position. If you think of the dial as a clock, the 11, 12, and 1 o'clock positions are the only positions where the compressor is OFF.

If you think your AC compressor is cycling on and off too often due to a loss of R134 refrigerant, then your AC will not cool the cabin very well. If it cools fine, then it's probably OK

...Rich

Was your thermostat replaced before this problem began occuring? If so, you might have the wrong thermostat installed (wrong temp rating). It also could have been installed improperly. Finally, if you have been adding straight water to your radiator when it overheats, you probably have diluted the coolant too much for it to work properly.

i installed the thermostat because this proplem had started. I read somewhere that the thermostat could be the problem. when i went to replace it i found that i had a crack in the thermostat housing. so i took the truck in to get fixed. the problem was still there even after i got it back. they said the cycling was due to the lack of freeon. but now im overheating for some reason. it was overheating both stopped and while driving. so i pulled into a carwash and saw that the radiator was caked with mud. so i sprayed it off and got all of the mud from the front of the radiator. i no longer have problems while driving but still while stopped. i looked at the front thinking the fan would have blown mud at it. but theres only a little bit on the corners. so i dont know. how do i tell if my radiator is clogged??