P0442 TROUBLE CODE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had to fix this trouble code? There are some post about it but not how they actually fixed it. It's in th EVAP control system somewhere. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected

Most of the time this it is a gas cap related issue... Remove the gas cap, clean the gasket and re tighten. It will take a couple of days to go off... OR you can disconnect the battery to reset the computer...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Todd Z,

I did a rear shock replacement last week, I dropped the breather box for an easier install.

I'm not sure but If I didn't hook up all the hoses I disconnected to the breather box would that give me a P0442 code? Just wondering

Thanks

Charlie

I did a rear shock replacement last week, I dropped the breather box for an easier install.

I'm not sure but If I didn't hook up all the hoses I disconnected to the breather box would that give me a P0442 code?

I would be willing to bet you have diagnosed the problem yourself.

Tom

charlie, that's probably the problem. The computer has to run a test for the CEL to come on. The CPU doesn't always run tests of the system. It does it at cirtain intervals. May have been that long before it ran and recognized the issue.;)

Same thing happened to me and I knew right away what it was. One of the hoses was not pushed on tight enough and it came loose. CEL turned two days later. Pushed hose on until I heard and felt the connector snap into place. Two days later CEL turns off.

any time.

You can put a zip tie on the hoses to help hold them on..

Tod dZ