P0442

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
I have a CEL with code p0442. I have actually found where the problem is but not sure what I need to repair it. Bascially there is a hose that runs along the drivers side rear wheel well inner liner near the fuel filler door. This hose has an elbow at the top that goes into the the inner liner and connects to something. My elbow has broken in half, which I feel certain is the cause of the CEL that indicates EVAP system leak. Has anyone ever had to replace this elbow (and whatever it connects to)? If so what part do I need. I am having probelms finding this specific part on-line (but I may not know what to call it either).

I can't help you, but I know exactly what you are talking about. The rim/tire on my Gen1 would rub the wheel liner right there, until I got some spacers on the wheels.

Take a look at this link to see if you can find what you are looking for and get the correct part number.

Category: Air Fuel Delivery

Sub-Category: Fuel Storage

Look on page 2 of the search results, and the image for PN 9L291

Maybe one of those parts are it, if not look around the site for what your looking for. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a recall on this a while back...... check the local dealer or our ford parts sponsor and see what parts are replaced and grab them..

Todd Z

Thanks for the ideas so far. Todd I believe you are correct on the recall but mine is an '05. I forgot to mention that in my original posting. I think the '03-04's were recalled for this. DHizzle I will ck out the link.

Check with our sponsor and see if he can look it up for you..... i also believe you just need the new elbow and a couple of zip ties...

Todd Z

The plastic elbow should be availablein the red box, help section. At the parts store. Or ask at the counter. Hose connectors are common parts. Doesnt have to be vehicle specific. Only hose size.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. After looking over the truck more closely I think I will let the shop I use take care of this one. The elbow is the easy part. Problem is the tire and inner liner will need to be pulled to get to hose that runs unside the inner liner to the evap. cannister. This is a job I am wiling to pay to have done!! This site is great and looking up the trouble code gave me several threads that lead to areas to focus on to resolve this issue.

Thanks again for idea of dropping the spare. If I were not still recovering from a fairly major surgery (galbladder removal) I would be more adventurous and do that, but since my ability to do much physical work is still limited I will have to pay this time. The shop I use is not a dealer and they generally treat me very fairly on costs for any repairs. The info I have gotten from this site has helped me greatly as I know exactly what to tell them to repair and this will not turn into a "fishing expedition". :)

Final update. Turns out the hose I see in the wheel well with the broken elbow actually goes nowhere. It simply vents behind the inner liner, I assume to help keep debris out. But the P0442 code was being caused by a loose hose at the evac cannister. When the shocks were put in they did pull the hose off and then re-connected when finished. After I hit an incredible bump from some pavement killing on a local highway it caused the hose to come back off, setiing the code. So at this point I simply need to find an elbow for the top of the hose I see in the wheel well. :)