Parking Brake Light Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed S 2

Reaction score
Hey havent posted in a while. Thought I would ask if anyone else has had this problem or knows how to fix it.

My Parking brake light comes on randomly while I drive, stay on and then randomly turn off. I know the parking brake isn't on. I can feel the difference. I think its just a short but I have no idea where to look or which fuse to check in the fuse box. When I park and the light isnt on it turns on when i put on the brake but then doesnt turn off when I take it off. Any help would be great thanks.

And don't just add fluid, Have your brake pads checked, if they are worn, when you replace them the fluid will be pushed into the master, if you fill it up now, it is only asking for a mess..

just put enough in there to turn off the light..

Todd Z

If you do find the fluid level low and don't find a leak to account for it, you need to check your brakes because that means the fluid has accumulated in the slave cylinders due to brake pad wear. ;)

Todd has nailed it, we have seen this HUNDREDS of times.

Basic physics. as the pads wear, the pistons of the calipers move out. As they move out, fluid comes from the reservoir to replace the void, thus, the fluid lowers and the sensor sends a signal via the ECM to your dash, thus the Brake Light...