Pass thru window motor location

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your unsure if its the motor or not, you might want to do the self calibaration procedure.

My rear window didnt work when I bought my ST. I ordered a set of shop manuals scaned through it and had the window fixed in about 10 min. Just thought it might save you some $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

KElly

if your back window is not working try this

re: HELP!! with Back Power Window by kefguy,8/23/2005 04:06 PT

Hang on a sec.

Before you do that, did you try to re-initialize the system? If not, here's how:

a. Start with the ignition key in the OFF position.

b. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

c. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six times.

d. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

e. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six more times.

f. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. At this point the rear window glass will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement signifies that the rear window glass motor has entered into the initialization mode.

Note: The rear window glass control switch must be held in the up or down position until the window glass stops moving. Failure to hold the switch will end the initialization operation. Then initialization will have to be re-started.

g. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position.

Note: If a repair is to be carried out on the rear window glass release the rear window glass control switch when it reaches the desired position. This will end the initialization operation.

h. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full down position until the rear window glass stops in the full down position.

i. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position. At this time the window will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in) signifying the rear window glass motor is initialized.

Also, You don't need to take the back panel off to troubleshoot or replace the backplane motor. Fold down the rear passenger-side seat and open the access panel. As you're looking at the rear of the vehicle, the motor's electrical connector is down on the left side corner of the compartment. To access the motor and regulator (the mechanical gear and pulley system), open the fabric flap that's behind the access panel and pull off the ridged plastic cover

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=740158&SUB=740243&sitename=mysporttrac

Jeff,

Motor location behind the right rear seat storage area.

[Broken External Image]:

If the initialization doesn't work, and if you're up for troubleshooting the electrical, I have the wiring diagram in my library. See link below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the deal: I just got this truck this past weekend. On the test drive the window wouldn't go back up so they were supposed to fix it. When I went back to get it the window was up and it operated albeit slowly (is it normal for it to go up pretty slow?) In that same time period it warmed up from below 20° to above 40° so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. In the mean time i wanna look at it to see if they really did replace it. I looked there but didn't really see a access hole in the insulation like the one pictured above. I'll look again though. I'll also do the procedure above to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, that flap exists in the 2001s, but it's not cut completely open, so it's hard to see.

I haven't had my ST in cold-weather climates, but my experience with these types of gears is that they will be affected by the cold. They're coated with grease, and that grease freezes up and gets hard. (I've worked on similar motor-driven gears on aircraft, and eventually have had to strip all traces of lubricant off so that the gears would turn freely. Mind you, this was in -40 F degree temps.)

Found it! Since I had to finish tearing the perforations on the carpet to gain access I would say they didn't fix it...... Since the window is working i'll just let it go.....