Patching Subs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Park

Reaction score
Hello, I have two JL w6v2 12". and one of them has a rip on the rubber piece of the face. Does anyone know how I could fix this? I have tried black silicon, but it always seems to rip again, and again, and again. Do you know how to fix this? Or try to.:(

Speakers can be reconed /repaired by a special shop. I have not seen one of these shops for a long time however. You would definately be able to find one on the internet but you would have to ship. Just did a google on "speaker repair" and got tons of hits. Looks like there may even be some kits you can order to do it yourself. When I was younger if only the paper was torn we would repair it with clear nail polish and be good as new.

I bought the kit on line and repaired 2 mtx speakers.... The held up for about a month of constant use...

If you can repair just the rip go for it, but do not attempt to repair the whole thing.

The place i found on line even told me they have a 50/50 repair ratting..

Todd Z

Hey Daniel,

I used to be in the car audio business. Scott is right, send them to JL. There is a place here in Orlando that does new surrounds, but if you are going to ship them, send them to the factory and have it done right.

Jim

Howd you manage to rip the suspension on a w6??? lol those things can handle so much more than they say! How loud was your trac with 2 of those? what amp do u have?

Thats like my dream system idea, to someday upgrade to w6 from w3...

Send it to JL they will fix if you have the orignial receipt from authorized dealer and your originial owner...That wont be under their warranty though...

Good luck

Thanks

Andy

I have a Eclipse head unit, the volume was at 68, the bass at -3. I have 2 sony explode mono amps pushing the 2 12" jlw6.

The amp is a sony xplode monaural 1600watt 900 watt rms at 2ohms.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel, as a pro auto audio and video installer, I'm curious as to why you choose to run such nice subs off of some Sony amps? Sony has an overblown reputation due to good marketing but not good product. I prefer Rockford Fosgate amplifiers (the older series). I have one 12" Pioneer flat sub in the flat mount sealed enclosure and power it with a Rockford Fosgate 500 BD monoblock Class D amp. Now I am also a big Pioneer subwoofer hater, but this flat sub fits perfectly behind the back seat and sounds super clear and deep. It's really nice. Do you have pics of your setup? Not bashing your system at all, just curious in why you decided to pick those combinations.

Latest posts