PCV Elbow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
After reading quite a bit on this site I think I may be seeing early signs of the famous pcv elbow problem. I have ordered a Dayco Hose part from Autozone for pick-up tomorrow. I used the suggested part, part A70948. Has anyone experienced early symptoms of this elbow failing before seeing a CEL with related code show up? I have not had a CEL, though I am having some of the symptoms include somewhat erratic idle. I have performed the suggested other items on here, including IAC cleaning and then replacement, MAF cleaning, and throttle body cleaning. I do not see a crack in this elbow on mine, though it may be on the bottom and I can't see it. So again, has anyone had this elbow develop a split but NOT gotten a CEL?

Thanks.

My pcv elbow was completely deteriorated and split and never through a code. Even after knowing and reading of this issue in our Tracs I never bothered to actually look at it because the CEL never came on. :banghead: Definitely replace the PCV valve while your at it.(project section) It cant hurt to replace the elbow as oil accumulates there and will eventually fail anyway. I replaced the entire assembley thinking there may be some oil or blockage in the plactic hose that wraps around to the pcv valve. The hose was fine so just replacing the elbow and pcv you will be good to go. I got the pcv valve at oreily($11) for those of you who want the entire asembley(amazon$19). You should get a slight improvment on mpgs too:supercool:There are many things that can cause a rough and/or erratic idle. Sounds like you are on the right track though :banana: Good luck. ...air in coolant system can cause a erratic idle,plugs and wires..ect get this elbow and pcv accomplished first and let us know ..update: replace fuel filter if its been ahwile

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have replaced the elbow. It is a pain in the rear to get that elbow off of the intake!! I finally took a utility knofe adn gently cut the old elbow off. Initially result seems to be it is running better, idling smother. And cold start-up this morning was perfect. Time will tell if this was the issue. I can say my elbow was not split at all. So my only guess is that it was weak enough that when the vacuum pressure built up maybe it was collapsing it where the bend in the elbow is?? Just a guess on my part. I have put a new positng on here about the cruse control cable. In the process of swapping the elbow I broke the plastic connector for the cruise control cable where it coneects to the trottle body. :( Of course it si the actually connection point on the throttle body. :( :( I should have disconnected the cruise control cable firts but honestly I did not think about it. :(