PCV?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my '01 in to the dealer at about 100,000 miles and forgot to request the PCV change. I went back and asked the service advisor and was told not to bother at that time because 1) the labor would disgust me, and 2) they see few failures on this part. I now have 140,000 and all is well.

It's your call, but with a low failure rate, and your low miles, I'd wait until I needed something else (thermostat, or the elbow that cracks).

Jphn, I was the person who posted the link above. I went ahead and changed it myself. It's somewhat confined where the valve is. What I ended up doing was taking a screw driver between the valve and the metel U tube that surrounds it with the lines. I put enough pressure on the metal tube and broke of a bit of the plastic that hold the U tube within the valve that I was able to slip it over the valve. I then just twisted the valve off (it's a twist-lock type). The new valve (I got it via special order from Ford) comes with the metal U tube attached. I attached the lines to it then just twist locked the valve back in. I took me about 15 minutes doing it that way.

And when should I change the fuel filter,spark plugsnwires,cap,rotor,etc.

Fuel Filter Now.

Plugs & Wires, I did mine at 50,000 miles. I think they are recomended at 100,000 miles, but waiting that long could cause you problems with removing them.

Cap & rotor...as soon as you find one on your Trac, let me know. Trac's don't come with them.

As for a PCV valve, I don't know. They arent something that goes bad. They either work or the don't.

Tom