Perfomance Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Willey

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first visit and post. I stumbled upon this site while researching ways to increase the horsepower to my 2005 ST.

We recently purchased a 24’ Gulf Stream hard side travel trailer (3900 lb curb weight) and are heading west next month for a 2-month gaunt. It has an anti-sway and equalizing hitch and electric breaks. We took it for a 600 mile r/t test run last weekend. The wife did most of the driving and did a fine job at that. Went through a learning curve finding the right number of links for the proper equalizing adjustment and with tweaking the anti-sway bar. Cruise control worked fine. She tried to maintain a speed of 70 MPH…I was more comfortable at 65 MPH. I’m guessing we averaged between 9 and 10 miles per gallon. (We did not observe any other ST towing a thing, nor have I seen one towing a TT.)

We live in coastal Florida, at basically sea level and with bridges providing our only real grades. Realizing during our trip we will encounter several 6% grades and be driving at much higher altitudes, I want to increase our HP to make the tow and trip easier. Improved MPG would be a welcomed by-product. Please note, I am not very mechanically inclined.

Several of the RV forums I have visited suggest increased performance can be obtained by changing the exhaust system. Camper World recommends Gibson. I talked to my neighbor, a 22 year old who is constantly modifying his Chevy S-10. He recommended changing the exhaust, air filter, and installing a Jet Chip. It was while looking at Jet Chip reviews I was lead to this site. I note that several of you have opted to purchase the XCAL2 over a Jet Chip and would be interested in knowing why?

Would you recommend I use a synthetic oil?

Any suggestions or guidance on how I can achieve my goal will be greatly appreciated.

Yes use synthetic oil, Install an intake and the exhaust, the Gibson is fine, not that loud, but has a nice rumble..

STAY away from chips....

Get an xcalibratorII , IT actually flashes the computer through the data port and allows you program a towing tune, then go back to stock when not towing... And you can get up to 3 different tunes and different octanes of gas also, OR you can get them all for 87...

A member here www.hypillauto.com

Wayne Foy sells them and knows how to properly tune the Sport Trac..

His phone number is on his web site, give him a call, you will not be disappointed..

AND WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!

Todd Z[Broken External Image]:

Also, get rid of your stock shocks for some better aftermarket ones and consider installing an Explorer Express Rear Sway bar, and a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit. These suspension upgrades will help your Trac tow the TT better. I tow a 23' hybrid TT,and it has made a big difference.

:But don't buy a throttle body spacer. I learned the hard way that they don't work! I now have a $150.00 coffee cup holder......:(

The Explorer Express Rear Sway bar mentioned above is a virtual must. Since your towing with your Trac, I would say it is a MUST.

Also mentioned above, get rid of the factory shocks. They simply are not the right shocks for the Trac. Ford had them in stock and slapped them on basically.

Those two items will make a HUGE difference on how the Trac handles and rides..

Joe W.,

I also agree with everything said above. You will probably find the stock ST has adequate power to pull a 3900lbs TT up most grades without too much difficulty. The real problem may be your brakes. You might want to look into replacing the stock front brake pads with a good quality Carbon metalic pads and replace the stock rotors with some slotted rotors.

Also, if you are anywhere past 15K+ miles, I would suggest you get the transmission flushed and have them install 10 quarts of a 100% synthetic fluid (Mercon-V compatible). If you are fairly sure that you will not surpass 15K miles on your trip, at least be sure to flush the fluid when you return. Towing is hard on transmissions and the excessive heat will destroy the fluid. The synthetic fluids can withstand far more heat than the Mercon-V semi-synthetic.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your comments and recommendations. I bought the ST during Ford’s family and friend sale last year. I have wanted one for several years. My brother used to own one and that is what stimulated my interest. We live a block from the beach and I wanted something I could load all the beach stuff in that was easy to clean. Because we have a 2 seat sports car, we needed something that would haul 4 people and luggage. And finally, we wanted something that would fit into the garage. ST offered all those features and the price was absolutely right.

At that time we had no idea we would even be considering purchasing a TT. However, after being pet-less for 16 years my wife and I both experienced serious brain farts and now have 2 small dogs. We had planned taking the road trip well before getting the dogs, but once we got them it presented a quandary. Kennel them for 60 days (I don’t think so), pay a premium in hotel/motel pet surcharges, or get a TT. We went to an RV show talked with both factory reps and salesmen and opted for the Gulf Stream. Jayco ran a close second, but the factory rep and salesman tried to sell us a TT that was just under the Ford’s recommended weight limits.

The Gulf Stream factory rep and local salesman on the other hand were familiar with ST’s towing capabilities and steered us to 2 TTs they considered fully towable by a ST. I actually wanted a 25-foot model that fell within ST’s tow limits, but both the factory rep and salesman recommended against it. They were concerned the extra curb weight, in conjunction with the weight from whatever we loaded into the ST and TT would push us beyond the limits and put too much a strain on the engine. That integrity impressed us.

One interesting note regarding after-market towing products for Explorers and ST’s is that no manufactures a decent towing mirror for either ST or Explorer.

Once again thanks for all the input. I will continue to keep you all posted on what modifications I make and on the progress of our trip.

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

Here is a picture of the type of towing mirror that I use:

[Broken External Image]:

You can get them at Camping World. See the link below.

What model of TT did you buy?

Good luck with the new RV!

Thanks again to all who have responded. Based on everyone’s comments and recommendations I did the following:

1. I called Wayne and spent a considerable amount of time talking with him. I found him extremely helpful.

2. I have ordered the following:

a. Excalibur II

b. Y-Pipe

c. EE Rear Sway Bar

d. Gibson SS Exhaust

e. Bomz Air Intake

f. Road Master Suspension System

3. I intend on replacing the shocks with Monroe’s

4. Next oil change I will switch to Mobil-1

5. Before leaving on my trip I will have the transmission flushed and fluid replaced with synthetic.

6. After discussing the issue with Wayne I will wait until my ST hits 45,000 miles before replacing the brakes.

Don’t know yet how I will get all this stuff installed.

Oh, I also bought a real soft cushion that makes it easier to sit down. This was necessary after my wife chewed my a$$ for going what she considers overboard.:D I just decided to DO-IT!

Train Trac, I bought a Gulf Stream Insbrook 24QS. If you check Gulf Stream’s website you won’t find the specs for the 24QS. Unlike the other 24’ Insbrook TT’s, the 24QS is only 7 feet wide. Ours has a slide out adjacent to the dinette that when extended gives us ample room. Other differences include OAL: 24’09” vs 25”09 & 26’06”, Hitch Weight 330 lbs vs. 560 and 500 lbs, Fresh Water 31 gal vs. 54 gal, Waste 50 gal vs. 74 gal, Furnance 16,000 BTU vs. 25,00 BTU.

RE: mirrors. CIPA has 2 models I have tried. One similar in construction to the one you use and the other more aerodynamic looking. They both shift a lot from wind vibration. The more fancy aerodynamic one almost completely fell off after 15 miles. Thankfully we had to go thru a toll both and were able to save it. How do you rate yours?