Pics of Recon White Lightning LED Tailgate Bar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I finally installed the Recon White Lightning LED Tailgate Bar from Underdog Performance. I've also installed a LED third brake light, and converted the rear tail light bulbs to LED's. Here are some pictures of my all LED rear lights:

Rear Tail Lights

[Broken External Image]:

Rear Brake Lights

[Broken External Image]:

Reverse Lights

[Broken External Image]:

Reverse/Tail Lights

[Broken External Image]:

Reverse/Cargo Lights

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks. I also want to change the rear license plate bulbs to LED's, but they're a pain in the butt to access with the hitch in the way. I haven't been able to get to them yet.

XST-The brake light also came from Underdog Performance. My wife got me both it and the White Lightning bar for Xmas, but I waited until it got warm to install the bar. I wanted to make sure it was above 60 for the mounting tape to adhere properly.

on the license plate bulbs, you can get license plate bolts that have the LED built into the bolt. They are used when the plate is boxed into the rear window or into the tailgate. something to consider.

What do you have to do to convert the taillights to LEDs? I heard there is some

kind of power converter or some electrical adapter you need to get. Is this

true???:unsure:

Tracnblack,

You don't NEED a converter, but your lights will blink faster than normal if you don't install a converter.

That's what I have heard. They take such low power, the electrical system thinks

you have a burnt out bulb and will flash the lights and indicator in the cluster faster

to warn you. So, where/what type of converter to get???:unsure:

All you need to get is an electronic flasher unit. This replaces the OEM flasher relay under the dash. The reason they blink faster is that the LED bulbs draw less current than regular bulbs. Examples of electronic flashers are linked below, but you can get one at any auto parts store for $12-$14. That's where I got mine.

The White Lightning bar looks great!

QUESTION: Which is better, the White Lightning or the Line of Fire?

Where is the best place to buy one?

THANKS

QUESTION: Which is better, the White Lightning or the Line of Fire?

I believe they are the same mfr. just one has only red for brake, turn, running, and the other has that plus white leds for reverse.

www.stuffforyoursporttrac.com is a sponsor and sells both.

TRAINTRAC:

Does the bar block the hole for the spare tire crank?

Last edited by a moderator:
noble. you can notch a vee with a utility knife in the back of the line of fire to gain spare tire access. It's not a big deal and won't effect the lights. or.... 4 phillips screws and the unit is off. takes all of 2 minutes.

Nobleman,

You're right. They're basically the same bar, except for the white LED's on the White Lightning model. It won't block the spare tire crank hole if you mount it on the lip of the bumper cover. I used the project linked below as a guide for that. You just have to apply new mounting tape to the bar. That way, you don't have to notch the bar, nor do you have to remove it when you need the spare tire.

It comes pre-wired with a four-pin connector will plug directly into your four-pin trailer harness. This will enable the bar to work with all the lights-tail, brake, turn signal, and flasher. For the white LED's, there's another separate white wire that you just splice into the wire going to your back-up lights. On a 2004 ST, it's black with a pink stripe. I just ran it up the passenger side and spliced it in with the black/pink stripe wire going right into the reverse light socket.

Do we need the 2 or 3 prong, and is the turn signal flasher the same one, or different from

the hazard flasher?

It's a three-prong flasher. There is only one flasher unit for both turn signals and hazard lights. Just go to your local auto parts store and tell them you need an electronic flasher for a Ford Sport Trac. They'll look up the correct part number for you.

Latest posts