pioneer Avic D or Z series

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously considered both of these models from Pioneer. My main desire though is the routing/gps feature and Pioneer's mapping interface from Telenav has mixed reviews.

Since I'm already familiar with Garmin and they pretty much set the standard for all other gps devices, I decided to try a Kenwood unit similar in features to the Pioneer Z series.

Don't have it yet, but I'll let you know if your interested once I have some experience with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the D2. I love it. Very nice radio. Sometimes the nav doesn't pick the shortest/fastest route but overall, I would give it a 8/10.

Of course, if you have the money, the Z1 is better.

And, the D3 is coming out soon.

D3 just came out and is all over on ebay. Do a search, I put some pics up a few months ago of a D1 install in a 04 ST. If you look around and are patient, you can get a D1 for under $500. D3's going for about 900, but should drop in a few weeks. Both units have distinct pros/cons.

I have Avic D-2's in my Escalade & Mustang. I asked about the D-3 last week, and the only down side I heard was that the D-3's "look cheap"... I like the fact that you can change the color of the lights on the D-3, very similar to the 'my color' feature on the Mustang.

I'm looking at getting a Z-1 for my 07. Did you, guys who have, it install it yourself, or was it installed? Was it easy if you installed it yourself? Were you guys able to hook it up to all of your speakers and your subwoofer? I've heard of people getting the Z-1 and having it installed, but their factory sub did not work. Anyone upgrade their speakers, or think the stock nav is better? Also does anyone have the reverse camera that is an option for the Z-1? One last question, can you use your stearing wheel controls with the Z-1? Any other possitives, or negatives would be appreciated.

Thank You

I had a buddy install mine for me but you can do it yourself if you have the patience and you have installed radios before. Using the wiring harness adaptor from Crutchfield(Part# 120705521), connecting all the speakers and subwoofer was rediculously easy. At this point I have not upgraded any of my speakers but that's in my future plans. The Z1 navigation system is hands down better than factory. You get soooo much more functionality from the Z1 over the Ford factory unit even though the factory unit is made by Pioneer as well. I also have the reverse camera, I got the Pioneer camera but there are better cameras available for less money. My suggestion would be to do some research on reverse cameras and go with a different model. The Pioneer cam os okay but again ther are better options avialable for less $$$ and better picture quality. All of the steering wheel controls work with my Z1, you need to purchase the PAC SWI-PS Stereo Audio Control Interface. I also have the Bluetooth adaptor for my cell phone and it works great. Again, feature and function wise you can't go wrong with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. If you have any other questions let me know....

Purchase the following for your 07 ST installation:

www.Crutchfield.com

Ford In Dash Receiver Kit Part #120995807 $19.99

Ford Receiver Wire Harness Part #120705521 $14.99

Antenna adaptor Part #12040CR10 $12.99

PAC SWI-PS $49.99 from the following link

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I think that answers all of them. When I get the unit, probably closer to the summer when it warms up and I have more free time, I may have more questions about hookup, etc..

Until then thanks for the incite. I will try to post some pics of my trac, now that I have a scanner. It may be easier than using my camcorder still function.

Thanks Again