Pioneer Stereo/GPS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Lewis

Reaction score
I'm looking at this unit for my 2005 Sport Trac.

I like the built in GPS but is a little pricey.

Has anybody ever purchased a similar unit?

Do research on A/V forums about it. I know the US version (maybe just a different model #) had some software issues and complaints of very long boot times. I put the Kenwood DNX-5120 in my wife's Lexus and we're pretty happy with it. The user interface isn't quite as intuitive as I'd like, but its not too bad. It has Garmin based navigation, and I love it.

David- I have a factory sealed Alpine IVA-W203 Nav Head Unit for $500 FIRM. MSRP $1000

It is a DOUBLE DIN unit but will fit with a little trimming. See HawaiianST's profile, he installed a DOUBLE DIN Pioneer DVD unit in his ST. Email me for questions or inquiries. Thanks, Steve

David- Having problems At Yahoo Mail. Unit is factory sealed and NOT refurbished.

Have an Alpine deck, portable Garmin GPS and Panasonic DVD player.

I know I can get more for this unit . Don't want the BS to deal with at Craigslist or Ebay.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 900bt version...only diff between the two is I can play DVDs. I say go for it it fits no problems and btw if you go to www.avic411.com and do some lookin around you will find you can mod it to your liking AND you can now add garmin or tom tom or another option (through the sd slot). This unit is a little slow at start up yes, but I can live with a 60 second start up for all the options I've added lol.

a good site for this unit is www.avic411.com

I had the f-700bt which is the previous model. I had it only 3 months and just swapped it out last week for an alpine unit.

the boot time was 1 minute, then another 30 seconds or so for the bluetooth to kick in.

for me, I could not take the boot time, if for example, you shut your car down with the volume up high, then get in the car the next morning, you cannot even turn down the volume for 30 seconds or so.

the navigation was not that great imo but it was adequate, the bluetooth did not work reliably with either of my blackberries. sometimes the touch screen would not respond, or respond slowly. The unit runs windows CE, there are tons of hacks for it, unfortunatly none make it run faster. my experience was frustrating, to the point where I almost put my fist through it a couple of times, you would hit a button and the thing would beep but it would not respond.

if you can put up with the boot time, you will probably be fine, but for me, it became an exercise in frustration.

on a positive note, sound quality was very good. I paid about 500 for mine, the X710 is basicly the same unit, so if you can find an f700 around, you may be able to get a good deal on it and save some money.

good luck.

The biggest issue I have with slow boot times is that it makes your back-up camera almost pointless. My Alpine W200 is bad enough and it only takes about 5-8 seconds to boot. Half the time I'm already backed out and driving forward before the display is ready.

www.avic411.com is a great site with some great people and very helpful.

I have the avic-z1 upgraded to a z3 (new hard drive with z3 software and updates). I like it and find it very useful. It has some things that i don't like but every product will be like that. Overall I am happy with buying it, paid $1400 a few years ago. I have the blue tooth adapter and it works decently, not the best but good enough. I have the ipod adapter but didn't like it. It is slow booting up but not having to have a bunch of Cd's in the ST is great. I have a good amount of music on the hard drive and still have room. I also have the Sirius adapter once again it is good enough, the signal is not the best but nothing seems to work great in NYC.

the mapping and navigation is pretty good. have ot figure out the quirks with how you put in addresses but you get used to it.

I also have the Z1 upgraded to the Z3 via larger hard drive and software updates and I love mine. My bluetooth works well with my Palm Treo and the back up camera is a great feature. I paid about $1200 for mine 3 yrs ago and no issues so far. y bigges complaint is that I can't upload my contacts from my phone via bluetooth but it's actually a Palm limitation on the Treo 800, i could do it just fine with my Treo 650.