Pit Bull dogs can Cancel Homeowner's Insurance?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My secretary just found out that her homeowner's insurance will not be renewed unless she gets rid of her very loveable pitbull terrier. Does anyone have any advice I can give her?

There are a number of breeds that home ins. won't cover your house if you have them. Too much of a liabilitly. It's the same way here in ma. Most people I know don't tell their ins com. they have a particular breed.

It's the same here in FL Gavin. Pit Bull's, Cairn Terriers, and a few others are listed. While 99.9% of them are as you say loveable, there are a small percentage that are not raised correctly, and the truth of the matter is that those dogs can be more dangerous than any other when intent on attacking. Yes, any dog can have a mean streak, but a pit bull's mean streak can be more deadly.

It's a sad situation. Can she go with another company? One that perhaps will allow her to pay an extra $5-10 a month for coverage? Have her investigate other companies.

I am a homeowners insurance adjuster. One breed of dog that may surprise you to get you not renewed or not insured to begin with is the Dalmatian. They have a nasty habit of attacking children.

Dalmatian's have a history of being crazy. I've known a few.

The unfortunate thing about pets is they are only as good as their owners and all you have to do is take a trip down to your local SPCA and see what kind of pet owners are predominant in the good old USA.

She said the insurance agent came out to her house today to talk to her husband about renewing the policy and saw the dog in the back yard. I think she said she was with Allstate insurance. Insurance lady gave her two weeks to get rid of the dog or else she was cancelling the policy. I find it hard to believe a local insurance sales jerk could have the power to give ultimatums like that.

I have AARP Hartford and my policy will not allow Pit Bulls or Rottweiler's. They flat out ask the question about these specific dogs when you fill out the insurance paperwork to apply!

I have State Farm. When I got my dog -- a mixed breed, but the dominant breed is Chow -- I asked if there were any breeds that they would not cover. I was told that they had no restrictions on breeds. If there was an incident, they would cover the first attack, but after that, I would have to get rid of the dog or the insurance would be dropped.

I am in Michigan. Don't know if the law varies by state.

Rocks

IT is called a "hot Dog sheet"

Todd Z

Gavin,

Insurance companies are scum. Allstate is doing her a favor.

Find a new insurance company. Allstate will NOT take care of her if she needs them.

Tom

Find a new insurance company. Allstate will NOT take care of her if she needs them.

Your entitled to your opinion but I have had Allstate for over 15 years on both my home and vehicles. Never had a problem with them. I can't blame them for identifying high risk problems. We all end up up paying for someone else's negligence.

Happy for you. I hope they continue to take care of you.

My wife worked for Allstate for 5 years.

Tom

Pit Bull

Commonly called the American Pit Bull, these dogs are loved by their intensely loyal owners but feared by many who know them mainly as fighting animals. The dogs share some characteristics of the American Kennel Club-recognized Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier breeds. The Pit Bull makes the hard-to-insure list in part because of what some owners cite as its history of being selectively bred specifically to create the ultimate canine gladiator.

by the AKC in 1931.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a highly-intelligent dog, looks forward to daily exercise to maintain his characteristic lean-muscled look. The breed generally is a sweet-tempered and affectionate, but its tenacity and strength, including powerful jaws that demand heavy-duty chew toys, require an experienced owner. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was first recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1974 and is a member of the terrier group.

people don't understand it is not the breed it it the people who raise the breed

Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
Has your secretary gotten anything from the company yet? The agent is probably giving her 2 weeks to get rid of the dog on her own before she formally reports it her underwriter with a request to cancel.

When she notifies her underwriter they will then send out the cancellation notice if the dog is not removed from the house.

And anyone in the industry with firsthand knowledge, correct me if I am wrong, but once an insurance company cancels you it is reported to a data base.

Other insurance companies subscribe to this database and can review partial claim and cancellation history. So even if you get canceled and try to switch to another company they will see the flag for a dog and ask about it.

I believe it is ISO (Insurance Services Office) and operates like the "Carfax" of the insurance industry.

Gavin,

Yes they can cancel her for the Pitbull but this would not make me get rid of the dog. There are so many insurance companies out there and she should go to an insurance broker and find one. Is the dog a pure pitbull? I'm not saying to lie but if it is a mix tell her to just call it a mutt. It's a shame that the breed of dog gives them a bad name but unfortunately insurance companies are allowed to do this. I 100% agree with Rachel.

Also, most insurance companies will send an inspector to the house. Do not keep the dog out while they are around.

I would never get rid of my dog for insurnace. Even if she has to pay a higher premium it is worth it. I work for an insurance broker but unfortunately they do not write personal lines insurance out of NY.

Here is a link to "Pitbull friendly" insurance companies...

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull-articles/pit-bull-friendly-insurance-companies.html

George

I had the same problem, I raise dobermans and I have a deaf dalmation. My insurance carrier allowed me to get homeowners and waive the liability side. I eventually found one that would cover me. In SC, the insurance companies I checked, would not cover, bulls, dobermans, rots, shepards or dalmations. Of course the most aggressive and meanest of all my dogs was the chiuaua. lol

I have owned dobermans for over 15 years, still have 4, 3 of these rescued from abuse and starvation. I have two small children and cats, not one nip, bite or growl. They where easy to train and they are wonderful dogs.

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll pass it on to her.

The ol' "antifreeze and sponges soaked in bacon grease" solutions would also work for her too, but I think she kind of likes the dog. :eek:

Latest posts