Please Help!! Check engine light on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was looking for some info and knowledge from the people that truly know these vehicles the best. My Gen 1 is an 04 that I have had since new. It has 60k on it right now.

Yesterday I was driving and when I would get up to about 1800 RPM i would lose power for a second and then it would pick back up. It did this a couple times and then the check engine light came on. This is the first problem I have had with the truck. I took it to Advanced and got the code pulled. It said that there was a problem with my fuel rail pressure sensor.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think the code is accurate and that is exactly whats wrong? Hopefully this is a job I can do myself. The truck seems to be driving fine now and has stopped losing power as far as I can tell but the light is still on. I can't afford to have my truck down because its my only vehicle.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy didn't tell me. He just said fuel rail pressure sensor. I think I am gonna go back tomorrow and get him to pull it again. Will they check the fuel pressure for me at Advance? From what I am seeing online, it could be the sensor, the regulator, or even the pump

There is no "easy" way to check the pressure on an 04........ the sensor is mounted on the fuel rail on the Drivers side.... It is real easy to change....

Todd Z

Not enough information since there can be a number of sources for the problem.

When I have gone to AutoZone to get the error codes, they gave me each error code and printed out on their cash register tape, what each code meant and the possible parts that could be failing and causing that code. Ya, I know it sounds weird but he put each code into their computer, and it printed out a description of each problem on a long cash register tape. Each code description is about 18" long...lol but describes all the possible reasons for each error code.

You might want to try to go by an AutoZone store for a read out and a print out of the causes for your check engine light.

...Rich

The code it is throwing is P0193. I see that this is a fairly common thing with this engine. Does anyone have a good link on how to replace this sensor?

Did mine a few weeks ago it took about 10 min. it's on the drivers side in the intake valley. Mine had the same symptom and code. real easy just be sure to buy the Ford part.

Bit the bullet and bought the ford part. $125 out the door. I went to Advanced near campus because I had class in thirty minutes but I wanted to get it on. Plus you can usually talk you way into borrowing some tools if you dont have the one you need. So i swapped it out and it went smooth. After the new one was on it cranked up with just a little hesitation, im guessing due to the gas and pressure that was lost when the old one was removed. The light is off and I have about 5 miles on it with no light. I did disconnect the battery when I changed the part so that could have cleared the CEL i guess?? But it seems to be driving fine. I hope it stays this way. If that part wasn't the problem then I am not going to be happy I spent all that money on it