PLease Help!!!! I feel like it's gonna shut off on me at idle..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
Hey guys.. When I'm sitting at a red light my Trac drops the idle down about every 3 seconds or so.... it drops down to about 500 rpms then you can feel it kick in a liittle to bring it right back up to around 700-800 rpms.. I've already replace my idle control valve. It almost feels like I'm losing electrical power. Could this be a battery issue? It's the only thing I can think of that I haven't maintained myself. THe one in their is the one that came in it when I bought the Trac about 7 months ago..Please Help..:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know that I can offer a suggestion to your problem but mine is at the shop today getting new plug wires to fix a rough idle. I already cleaned the IAC and replaced the plugs so hopefully the new wires will help. I will let you know what they find out when they call me.

Dan

griff, it sounds like the same thing that happened to my buddy's Trac. It was one of the coil packs that had gone bad which creates a bad miss in the engine. If I remember correctly all 6 of the coils are in a clustered unit so of course you have to replace the whole unit. Hope this helps....

Any ideas on the cost of the coil unit? I'm pretty sure the plugs haven't been changed at all.. It's been on my to do list but they didn't look to easy to get to.. I've just been putting it off. That may be it. hmmmmm How much would it run for new plugs and wires? I'm talkin paying someone to do it. I'd like to keep the skin on my knuckles.... Is there a standard spark plug they use from the factory? That way I can find out how old these plugs are. Thanks for your help boyz.

I will find out and let you know.

Rite off hand I don't know what spark plug is reccomended but your owners manual should list the standard plug which is probably what came in it from the factory. Plugs are inexspensive so if you are not sure when they were last replaced, my suggestion would be to replace them along with the wires. I buy my plug wires from Auto Zone since they have a lifetime warranty and every 30K miles I exchange them for a brand new set. Just a suggestion.....:D

Don't do any R&R (Remove and Replace) unless you know what the problem is. Replacing things that are fine only will end up costing you money and never fixing the problem.

Just because my uncle's cousin brothers fathers best friend had that problem, does not mean you have that problem.

Fix the simple stuff first. If there is a misfire, then the ECU will say so. If there is no misfire, then computer wont say anything. Sounds like the problem has something to do with the A/C clutch cycling and the engine not properly able to compensate for the increased load on the engine.

I highly doubt the problem is the coil and I would bet money on it!

Tom

Did you Check the common vacuum elbow?? that can have a slight crack and not throw a code, but can cause an issue... ALSO how is your filter maintenance?? where they recently changed???

How many miles on your st?

Todd Z

In my library is a file marked Vacuum Elbow, or something like that. I am on my PDA right now and cant access it wothout losing this screen.

The crack happens on the bottom. You will need to feel it and look at the bottom. Not just the top where you can easily see.

They go bad all the time. Dont guess, it will cost you PLENTY and still have the issue.

Griff you may have got some oil on the MAF sensor if the intake filter was over oiled. May want to clean that...

Here are some pics..

Also could disconnect the battery to reset the computer and clean the IAC any way.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]: