Please-Help With Ignition

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fezzer Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I had the turn signal problem associated with the steering column tilt causing a connection problem with the wires/harness. I followed the instructions listed here:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

The fix solved the turn signal problem but after putting it all back together, I went to start her up, turned the key and no starter engage. Battery is charged. Lights come on as normal with turn of key. Theft light is blinking so hopefully I didn't trip something??? I opened up the column again and checked all connections (that I could see) and everything seemed fine.

Now I'm stuck. Any Ideas Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

chop, I know you double check conections but. My bet is something is still loose or broken wire in a conector. My reasoning is. I was an instrument tech. The common problem, if it was working before tear down. I would have to go back to sqaure one. I would find it eventualy.

Not trying to be patronizing, about your knowlege. Just going from experiance. Sometimes after I backed off. Then take the item apart and realy look. I would be amazed at what I found loose or broke.

Try your other key just to make sure you didn't lose the program in your normal key.

Also try to start it in neutral, just make sure you don't have an adjustment issue.

Does it feel like it turns easier or harder?

If all feels good and the other does not start the Trac, then I would agree it is a connection issue...

Take a look at my project again and note the black wire identified as the anti theft wire.

This is the feed to the receiver for the chip in your key.

Check to see if the pickup is in the correct place - I think under the lock cylinder. Also note that the wire was pulled tight on my truck and I returned the proper slack to the wire.

Check the connector end (I did not follow it all the way) to see if it is properly connected.

Note also that in the end, I removed the tilt arm because I want to avoid future costly repairs.