PLEASE Help with running boards

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
OK...I understand that some of you are in favor of the looks of your trucks without the boards. My father, a frequent passenger, has medical issues that limit his ability to use the left side of his body.

I need boards.

I ordered a (pretty cheap) set off of ebay and set to installing them this evening. The brackets for mouning have 5 holes in the plate part that mounts vertically against the underside of the truck. They are arranged with 4 of the holes at each corner of a square, then a hole in the center. You only use three of the holes during installation - the bottom 2 and one of the upper holes. The upper hole lines up with an existing hole in the truck that is threaded, similar to the hole you would have if you removed the pins for a bed extender.

During installation, I sheared the bolt off in this hole. I'm really not that strong (5'9", 180). I now have half a bolt plugging the upper hole for one of the supports...and dont really know what to do long term.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

In the short term, I had a few 3/4" self tapping screws with washers. I drilled little holes in the metal and put them in, but I am afraid that it will no hold long term...and this is on the passenger side, the side I need to have for my Dad.

I will be out of town for the next 2 days and unable to respond to any questions, but intend to get back on this Friday morning, so any and all suggestions (except "leave the boards off, it looks better that way") are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

You'll have to drill it and use an e-z-out to remove the broken piece. I'm almost certain it's metric threads in that hole so be sure you have the correct bolt to go back in.

You could also try and cut a slot in the bolt with a dremel tool or die grinder and try and get a screw driver on it. Other option is if you can get something on the bolt to grind two flat spots on either side and get and adjustable wrench, vise-grip, or channel locks on it. An e-z-out or bolt extractor is also an option.