Pledge service to Obama

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note, I didn't call anyone a name. I didn't say that people are questioning this student address because of BHOs race. I certainly didn't call anyone a racist.

TJR, the reference was not about you...

Les,

Thanks. That's clear. The people that pull out the race card or call the other person a hater because they disagree with BHO or his policies are just the kind of polarized people I am trying to rally against.

I think maybe we should have another civil war. Not because I think war is the answer, but because the way I see it those most willing and ready to fight such a war are the zealots on both sides...and if they killed themselves off this country would be a much better place for the rest of us.

TJR

TJR, I appreciate your attempt to spread the light toward those on the polarized far right, who are plentiful on this site--but I suggest you give it up.

As much as I disagree with Barney Frank on many subjects, he did get one thing right--arguing with these people is like arguing with a dining room table.

Bill V, this goes both ways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Les, I agree with you about the name calling--but to be fair, there are at least as many names being hurled by the Obama detractors on this site as there are from the Obama supporters.

Woof, this went from a scary video put out by some 'stars', to a whole nudder ball game. I will be reviewing the speech, only becouse I can. I have no problem with our President giving a speech. I prefer it to be at a time when we all can be together in case there are some questions that my son will have.

I did not vote for Mr. Obama, but it is my duty to support him. He was put in a leadership role for a reason, and as an American, it is my responsibility to stand behind him. Now, with that said, it is also my duty to question any decision, course of action, or anything that he participates in. Also, it is my responsibility to get in front of him when I feel he is doing something I don't agree with.

Les, I agree with you about the name calling--but to be fair, there are at least as many names being hurled by the Obama detractors on this site as there are from the Obama supporters.

Bill, I completely agree...

I think it's worthwhile to point out in this thread that this is not the first speech given by a sitting president to students nationwide. The first President Bush spoke to students via teleconference 9/17/91, encouraging them to get excited about learning science. It wasn't nearly as broad-reaching in the size of the audience reached--but that was primarily due to the lack of a developed internet at the time.

Bill V

i remember this and also remember that the first bush was hammered for it big time.

Bud,

I agree with the greed and corruption, but not necessarily the apathy. The whole controversy over the BHO student address is just the opposite of apathy. Actually, for some, it's more like hysteria.

TJR

TJR, I think both apathy and hysteria are widespread. And I think the growing hysteria is causing even more of the rest of the population to become apathetic. The everyday Joes out there want nothing to do with the hysteria at either end of the political spectrum, and with both hystrical ends getting louder, the easiest way to avoid the hysteria is to avoid the spectrum as a whole.

Since adults don't trust him anymore and won't listen, he's speaking now to an audience that was literally just born yesterday. :rolleyes:

Lasik, I don't object ot the speech, I object to the way it is handled, at least on my local level.

Also, if you don't have a child, or have had a child, you really don't have a voice on this subject. You won't know what I'm talking about until you've had a child. I can't explain it, it's something you have to experience.

Presently, if there is something that happens at school (my children are in public school) as an activity or event, I have to sign a form for them to be allowed to participate. In this case, unless I sign a note saying not to allow them to participate, they are forced to do so.

My 8 year old son has ADHD and unless Obama is wearing a Sponge Bob outfit or is driving a Monster Truck, he's not going to pay a bit of attention and I'd actually be doing a dis-service to the other children there watching it that their parents believe they're able to comprehend it.

I actually asked my 13 y/o daughter who is in 7th grade, and my 17 y/o step daughter who is a senior if they wanted to watch it. And I asked the question in a manner that was neutral as I always encourage them to make their own decisions on how they should believe something. I didn't ask "Hey, you get a chance to watch President Obama speak on the TV at your school, are you going to watch it?", nor did I ask "I can't believe they're making you watch the speech by the President, are you wanting to?" I asked them both, "the President will be delivering a speech on Tuesday to all the schoolchildren in the US on Tuesday, would you like to watch it?"

Neither indicated that they had any desire to do so and asked why I asked. I told them that if they didn't want to watch it, I had to write a note to their principles stating they were not to watch it.

As I said before, I read the speech and I'll watch it and make a determination then. I'd have done the same for Bush. I think had the shoe been on the other foot and the right was doing this, the left and the media would have gone nuts.

Larry,

Regarding your son with ADHD that sounds like a severe case. If he is mainstraimed then he should be getting special accommodations. Differentiated learning and special accommodations are the norm in today's schools, or should be. So, I guess I am saying that he should still be presented with the opportunity to hear and see the president, just with a different format.

Regarding asking your kids if they had an interest in hearing BHO, I don't see the point in that. But then I'm "old school" like that. I think we lost our way as a country when we somehow got to the point where we thought school had to be entertaining, and fair, and take into account children's feelings, etc. Bah!

Kids should go to school to learn. They should go to school to gain experiences...good ones, bad ones...hopefully mostly GOOD ones. There will be winners and losers on the playground. There will be passing and failing grades in the classroom. The curriculumn should be defined by the adults who know better...not co-defined by the students, who would eat mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and drink Coca Cola at every meal if we let them do what they wanted.

TJR

...I had to write a note to their principles stating they were not to watch it.

FYI, I think you meant "principals", not "principles". (The most common mnemonic device for remembering which spelling to use is "The school principal is your 'pal'.")

Normally, I wouldn't point out a minor misspelling like that. However, in this particular context, the connotations of the other homophone are rather ironic--to the point that I thought it may have been an intentional misspelling. If that's the case--Very clever!

Our elementary school principal sent a phone message out to each parent stating the following (paraphrase):

"The school will not be directly following the syllabus supplied by the president. In addition, he and school officials will review the address and if it is found to be suitable for viewing then the students will be shown clips the next day. In addition, any parents that do not want their children to view any part of the address or be part of the president's address in general should write a note stating such and send it to the school the day of the address."

I think that message and the actions of the principal and the school are totally appeasement in nature. I think the principal "caved." Rather than tell the 1 or 2% of the parents that might object to the address and the message to STFU, the principal caved.

It's a sad day when the country bows to the very vocal few.

TJR