PO300 Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
Does this make sense to anyone...

Ever since I got the Trac, I would get this flashing CEL PO300, only when I was going really fast, and then floored it. If I was going uphill especially. Dealer was never able to fix it, or figure it out.

Some time after my warranty expired, I found a TSB for the exact same symptoms, due to valve springs hanging open during WOT over 4500RPM. The solution was to replace all the valve springs. I figured it wasn't causing any issues, and said screw it, they might mess up the engine more if they do work on it.

So the other day I bring it in to Ford for some work, and have them work on a small coolant leak that I couldn't pinpoint. It turned out to be the water pump leaking, so they replaced it. The only other work I had done was the inner tie rods.

To sum it up, the CEL does not flash anymore. It's just gone after they replaced the water pump. I'm not complaining, but I'm stupified.

IT may have been the knock sensor hearing the bearings in the water pump making noise, then the computer changes the fuel mix and the noise is still there, so it shows the code...

Just a possibility...

Todd Z

I wonder if that gave me better performance too... The Trac has been a bit sluggish since that service.